Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Water served by squirt bottle?

  1. #1
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    162
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Water served by squirt bottle?

    Has anyone found that their bully drinks much more eagerly from a squirt bottle than from the bowl? We discovered that this weekend for our dog. Even with dry tongue and warm dry nose she refused fresh water in a bowl but eagerly drank the squirt bottle water when we were out walking. Same thing again later at home. Am I doomed to bottle-feed this girl for the rest of her life? She is already such a princess in other ways!

    Is there anything I can do to get her more interested in drinking when she is clearly dehydrated?

    Since we adopted 3-year old Buttercup she drinks from her water bowl only 1-2 times per day, some days amounting to less than a cup of water. She also often regurgitates some of what she drinks although this has greatly lessened since we elevated her water bowl. We also switched to a ceramic bowl, give filtered water, and change her water after every time she drinks. None of this changed her drinking habits.

    She does urinate regularly throughout the day but drinks well under the suggested 15-30 mL per lb of body weight suggested by vets.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    You can try putting adding little chicken or beef broth in her water (home made would be best). I know that's worked for Blue.


  3. #3
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Funny, mine do not like the squirt bottle at all and are actually afraid of that when i have tried using in the past for hikes and walks. Sometimes I will give Tate ice cubes on the ride home from a walk if he hasn't drank enough water. You could give that a try.




  4. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    You know what I've seen? A pittie drinking out of a large baby bottle. It was the cutest thing. I spoke with her owner and he said he can't go anywhere without the baby bottle, that's the only way she'll drink water.


  5. #5
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Buster hates squirt bottles, those and the iron and the ironing board and trash bags are all the spawn of satan and he lets you know it.

  6. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    does she seem dehydrated at all? some pups just do not need to drink that much... as long as it is readily available, and she is not dehydrated, I would not be too concerned. The water bottle she may see as a toy or she just likes it. Banks will drink for a water bottle or hose till she burst, but her water bowl is only after she eats
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #7
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,479
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Harlea will drink from anything. We have a waterfall waterdish and all of our animals love it and play in it. It can be messy and has to be cleaned alot but sometbing about it entices them to drink. If you are worried about water in take you can also wet her food at each meal.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

  8. #8
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    162
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    does she seem dehydrated at all? some pups just do not need to drink that much... as long as it is readily available, and she is not dehydrated, I would not be too concerned. The water bottle she may see as a toy or she just likes it. Banks will drink for a water bottle or hose till she burst, but her water bowl is only after she eats
    Yes, she does sometimes seem dehydrated (dry cracked tongue + warm wet nose). Some days she doesn't take a drink before 7 p.m.

    She doesn't want the bottle at first but as soon as I dribble a little on her tongue she actively continues to lap the water then seeks the bottle if I take it away before she has had enough. I've tried just putting a little water from her bowl on her tongue with my clean fingers and she licks it up but does not pursue the bowl.

    Maybe we will try the waterfall as Marine91 suggested. She didn't like water in her old kibble (I think it may have diluted the food's flavor) but adores her new V-dog kibble so maybe she will take some water in that.

  9. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Wonder if you used a hanging water bottle in the crate if that might work for her
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. #10
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    162
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Wonder if you used a hanging water bottle in the crate if that might work for her
    Funny you should say that as the way she drinks from the squirt bottle reminds me of how pet gerbils and mice drink from theirs in their cage. I will look to see if these are available for dogs tho' am not sure Buttercup would think to pursue water without prompting.

  11. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Funny you should say that as the way she drinks from the squirt bottle reminds me of how pet gerbils and mice drink from theirs in their cage. I will look to see if these are available for dogs tho' am not sure Buttercup would think to pursue water without prompting.
    i think @Davidh uses them when traveling... I think they are the same bottles used for rabbit cages
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #12
    Dog Park Attendant Goob14's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    451
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    240

    Default Re: Water served by squirt bottle?

    Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Has anyone found that their bully drinks much more eagerly from a squirt bottle than from the bowl? We discovered that this weekend for our dog. Even with dry tongue and warm dry nose she refused fresh water in a bowl but eagerly drank the squirt bottle water when we were out walking. Same thing again later at home. Am I doomed to bottle-feed this girl for the rest of her life? She is already such a princess in other ways!

    Is there anything I can do to get her more interested in drinking when she is clearly dehydrated?

    Since we adopted 3-year old Buttercup she drinks from her water bowl only 1-2 times per day, some days amounting to less than a cup of water. She also often regurgitates some of what she drinks although this has greatly lessened since we elevated her water bowl. We also switched to a ceramic bowl, give filtered water, and change her water after every time she drinks. None of this changed her drinking habits.

    She does urinate regularly throughout the day but drinks well under the suggested 15-30 mL per lb of body weight suggested by vets.
    When Goob was a little younger, we had him crate trained...(we lived with my parents and their...not so nice dog and didnt want any problems). He loved his crate and we hung a lix-it bottle in there. I'm not sure of the exact name but its its exactly the same thing as you would put in a hamster cage...just MUCH bigger! We found ours at petco. They also have the lix-it bottles to have when you walk her. I usually keep his bottle in the fridge. Goob LOVES ice water and on hot days, he likes his chilled bottle.

    Is there a place in your house you could hang a lix-it bottle for her in addition to her water bowl? Here are some examples of the products we used with Goob:

    Lixit Top Fill No Drip Plastic Water Bottle for Dogs at PETCO

    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...CMABEKYrMAM4PA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •