Adopted girl will not eat. Please help.

OP
B

Brian Medeiros

Oct 26, 2014
Hi Everyone. I thought I would update you. Last update I mentioned that she was eating turkey on Sunday night. Monday morning she hardly picked at it but ate some at night. She didn't poop at all that day. Yesterday she ate a little turkey in the morning and my wife broght her to work. A few hours later Fatima puked all over the ups drivers shoes. My wife said it smelt rancid. Happened to receive a call from animal control checking in and I updated the officer. She said when they had her she ate dog food no problem but let's bring Fatima to their vet (happens to be Fatimas old vet) and let them have a look. Of course Fatima was spunky like she sometimes gets and went to the bathroom about 1 hour before. My wife said she felt like animal control thought we were crazy when she left. We got a call late last night that she ate liver treats no problem and that the xray was fine. They were feeding her in the morning and I could pick her up. Well animal control called me today and told me that Fatima is absoutley miserable. Totally different dog than what she saw yesterday. Won't eat, and she didn't want to lift her head. I said that's how it has been since we got her. Little bits of happiness followed by her lying down for hours. The vet did a full blood work up on her and we are waiting for results. All I can do is sit here but I am missing her terribly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Everyone. I thought I would update you. Last update I mentioned that she was eating turkey on Sunday night. Monday morning she hardly picked at it but ate some at night. She didn't poop at all that day. Yesterday she ate a little turkey in the morning and my wife broght her to work. A few hours later Fatima puked all over the ups drivers shoes. My wife said it smelt rancid. Happened to receive a call from animal control checking in and I updated the officer. She said when they had her she ate dog food no problem but let's bring Fatima to their vet (happens to be Fatimas old vet) and let them have a look. Of course Fatima was spunky like she sometimes gets and went to the bathroom about 1 hour before. My wife said she felt like animal control thought we were crazy when she left. We got a call late last night that she ate liver treats no problem and that the xray was fine. They were feeding her in the morning and I could pick her up. Well animal control called me today and told me that Fatima is absoutley miserable. Totally different dog than what she saw yesterday. Won't eat, and she didn't want to lift her head. I said that's how it has been since we got her. Little bits of happiness followed by her lying down for hours. The vet did a full blood work up on her and we are waiting for results. All I can do is sit here but I am missing her terribly.

Awe, poor girl and Daddy! Ask them to check her thyroid too... never know what could be the problem sending many hugs and prayers that she is just depressed and can come out of it soon

OP
B

Brian Medeiros

Oct 26, 2014
Hi All. Fatima is home and eating. Right now she is mainly eating chicken breast with blue buffalo grain free wet food. We are gradually adding Fromms do the dish as well. She lost a little weight since last week so we have some work to do before we can schedule her surgery. Getting there!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All. Fatima is home and eating. Right now she is mainly eating chicken breast with blue buffalo grain free wet food. We are gradually adding Fromms do the dish as well. She lost a little weight since last week so we have some work to do before we can schedule her surgery. Getting there!

At least she is eating something now..... Continued thoughts for her to settle in

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hi All. Fatima is loving turkey and we are feeling better but wanted to ask you how long should we do feed it to her. We are going back to the vet Thursday and if she is better overall scheduling the surgery for next week. Should we just keep her eating human food just to get her to like us an her new home? I have never delt with this so I am kinda gun shy about making too many changes with her. I am open to suggestions.

If she likes the turkey so much, she might be fooling you into feeding it to her exclusively. Try mixing some in with her regular food to get her back on her normal diet. Thank you for giving her a home -- she sounds like she needs some love! Bullies are emotional and get attached to their families, I'm sure she is just very confused right now. Keep us updated on how she is doing!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awwww, she may be depressed, bullies take change very hard. What you're
describing sounds exactly what my Cami (an adoptee as well) went thru and
like Fatima, would have happiness & respond to our attention then lay in her
cage and refuse to eat. I spent $200 on blood work and right afterward, she
evidently adjusted and started eating and hasn't stopped :) Wish I'd waited
3 more days before spending that cash...sucker! With Fatima, there might be
the issue of pain from her tail and I'm sure her nails/feet are sore.

GOD bless y'all for giving Fatima your home, care & love. Welcome to EBN!

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Hope Fatima is feeling well and at home soon! Our Buttercup came to us at age 2 with several health issues that impaired her quality of life. She is doing very well now thanks to our vet, advice from this forum, and her new food. But even though her problems were quickly addressed, it felt like an eternity when we watched her obvious discomfort and didn't always know how to best help her. There were also times when we thought she was doing better but then another health problem arose. Now she is back on track and I wish for the same for Fatima very soon.

Most Reactions

Members online