Adopted girl will not eat. Please help.

Brian Medeiros

Oct 26, 2014
Hi All. My wife and I adopted a five year old female on Tuesday. She was owner surrendered that Monday. Have been trying to get her to eat since then. We have gotten her to eat maybe two cans of wet food and a few cups of applesauce. She will not eat anything that we have given her multiple dry food and wet food including what we were told her previous owner was feeding her. She will sniff the food then walk away. I am going crazy. Please help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 184

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think it's gonna take a little while longer until she's used to her new home. I wouldn't worry about it too much, she'll eat when she's hungry. And based
on the pic, she doesn't look like she's missed too many meals :D.

She's very, very cute. Thank you for adopting her. :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful girl.... Thank you for giving her a new home! Give her time to settle in, she will eat when hungry , just give her what you know she was eating before and leave it for her. She will come around in a couple days.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi Brian, first of all welcome to EBN to you and your new baby. Congratulations and Yhank You for rescuing her and giving her a loving home. What is her name? You will love it on this site, there is a lot of forums and lots of I formation, and lots of great people on here, who are always ready to answer your questions, give advice, and share their experiences. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you on here, and please share lots of pictures of your bully.

I agree with Ellie (Blueberrys Mom), she is probably going to need more time to settle in and get adjusted to her new home and surroundings, she probably doesn't know what's happened to her family and all her familiar sounds and smells.
Give her time to get to know her new home, and the new peoplein her life, give her time to trust you, and she will do e around. Give her a quiet place where she can sleep, rest and feel safe, either in her crate or on a bed in an area that will be hers. Leave her food out, and a fresh supply of water, and she will eventually eat her food, she will not starve. You could gain her trust by hand feeding her some of her kibble and sitting on the floor beside her and talking to her so she feels comfortable. She just needs time, love and patience. I would be careful about changing her foods from any of her usual kibble, giving her different foods like wet food, multiple dry food, and applesauce may be too many changes and may cause an upset tummy and or diarrhea. I would stick with her own brand of food she was on before, and just leave it for her until she's ready to eat. She's probably just stressed from the move and all the changes.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
What a beautiful young lady you have adopted! thanku for opening your life to her :)

Agree with all the previous replies; the new home, environment, etc. is a big change for her and sounds like she's taking some time to acclimate to everything. What's her name?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for adopting her. As others have said, she is getting used to her new home and probably missing her old owners. She will come around, just be patient. Try feeding her by hand for a few days. You can mix some macaroni and cheese to her food if you wish. We have two very picky Frenchies that we are trying to put some weight on, so we put a mixture of mac and cheese mixed with some cooked hamburger meat with their kibble to get them to eat.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww what a sweet baby… first of all Thank You for adopting her!!! I agree w/the others, she just needs some time… she will come around. Keep us posted on your new baby!!!

OP
B

Brian Medeiros

Oct 26, 2014
Hi All. Thank you for all the kind words. We named her Fatima. She is 5 yrs old and is our second bulldog rescue. She is very sweet. My wife did get her to eat turkey this morning but we do not feed our dogs scraps. I had no idea a dog would go days without eating. When we picked her up her nails had grown under her pads. The vet took off over 3/4" off and they are still on the long side. We are trying to get her to go for short walks and she doesn't seem to like being outside. She has skin issues that we are addressing now, is deaf, as well as "screwtail" that is clearly irritating her and will be removed. Fortunately our vet is a bulldog breeder as well and we trust her 100% I will keep you updated and can't wait to start using this forum. Thank you all!

OP
B

Brian Medeiros

Oct 26, 2014
Hi All. Fatima is loving turkey and we are feeling better but wanted to ask you how long should we do feed it to her. We are going back to the vet Thursday and if she is better overall scheduling the surgery for next week. Should we just keep her eating human food just to get her to like us an her new home? I have never delt with this so I am kinda gun shy about making too many changes with her. I am open to suggestions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All. Fatima is loving turkey and we are feeling better but wanted to ask you how long should we do feed it to her. We are going back to the vet Thursday and if she is better overall scheduling the surgery for next week. Should we just keep her eating human food just to get her to like us an her new home? I have never delt with this so I am kinda gun shy about making too many changes with her. I am open to suggestions.

Slowly start adding her kibble back in and transition her back over a week or so

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless you for adopting Fatima, she is in a Great Home. Love To Fatima and her new family.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Slowly start adding her kibble back in and transition her back over a week or so

Agreed - it might be also harder to transition her from human food back to kibble xx
Congratulations on your adoption xx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.