What could this be?

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Sassy is 5 months old, and for the past 2 weeks has been shedding more heavily than usual. I'm attaching a couple pics of her coat.... She has no bare spots looks like thinning through out. Please give me your opinions. I haven't noticed her scratching or acting like she isn"itchy". No paw licking either....
. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 163

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sassy is 5 months old, and for the past 2 weeks has been shedding more heavily than usual. I'm attaching a couple pics of her coat.... She has no bare spots looks like thinning through out. Please give me your opinions. I haven't noticed her scratching or acting like she isn"itchy". No paw licking either....
.View attachment 79467

From Pet Web Md.
[h=3]What Would Make a Dog Shed Excessively?[/h]
What seems like excessive shedding can be normal for some dogs, but it can also be the result of stress, poor nutrition or a medical problem. Your veterinarian can best determine if your dog’s hair loss is part of the normal shedding process or is a symptom of an underlying disorder. Excessive shedding can sometimes be prevented through proper nutrition. Quality pet-food manufacturers work hard to include the right amount of nutrients so that supplements are not needed, but dogs with allergies and/or sensitivities still might need to experiment with different brands and formulations to discover which food works best for them. We recommend that you consult your veterinarian for advice on what foods will best suit your dog.​
  • Excessive hair loss or bald patches may be due to one of the following:
  • Parasites (fleas, lice or mites)
  • Fungal or bacterial infections
  • Inhalant or food-related allergies
  • Kidney, liver, thyroid or adrenal disease (including Cushing’s)
  • Pregnancy or lactation
  • Certain medications
  • Self-induced trauma due to licking
  • Cancer
  • Immune disease
  • Sunburn
  • Contact with irritating or caustic substances
Continue reading below...

[h=3]When Is it Time to See the Vet?[/h]
If you notice any of the following conditions, or if your dog’s initial skin problem persists for more than a week, consult with your veterinarian for treatment.​
  • Skin irritation, including redness, bumps, rashes or scabs
  • Open sores of any kind
  • Bald spots or thinning of coat
  • Dull, dry hair that pulls out easily
  • Scratching
  • Constant foot licking or face rubbing

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] has just about covered it. It could just be your baby is blowing their summer coat, so I would give it a few weeks, unless it is getting worse, then there is a medical problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... Blowing her coat

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Roger has you covered. Excessive shedding can be caused by allergies, my male Dozer started shedding excessively 3 months ago, he was licking his paws, and had goopy eyes, I switched their food from Fromm's Beef to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, and their both doing well on it.

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
Wow perfect timing for this post! Odin has been the exact same way the last little while, we have him on Fromms Beef Frittata. He is shedding like crazy the past two weeks and same kinda thing it looks like his coat is thinning but no bald spots. Hopefully just getting rid of his summer coat but we will watch for any worsening for sure.

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
Wow perfect timing for this post! Odin has been the exact same way the last little while, we have him on Fromms Beef Frittata. He is shedding like crazy the past two weeks and same kinda thing it looks like his coat is thinning but no bald spots. Hopefully just getting rid of his summer coat but we will watch for any worsening for sure.

OP
M

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy

How is Odin doing now? Sassy is still shedding like crazy but her coat doesn't look like it did. Its thinned out and is smoother and shiner than it was in the pictures I posted.

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
He is better now - not shedding as much and doesn't seem as "patchy". Although he did end up having a small hot spot on his neck, but that just happened last week so I don't know how related it was. Looks like the shedding was just him losing his coat, but we are still keeping a close eye on it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.