May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hey all,
hope everyone's bullies are doing well!

As a brief word of warning, I ordered one of those Nylabone dental chew dinosaurs (on sale from amazon), and it arrived today! I gave it to my bulldog, and he loved it. I keep an eye on him when he gets new things and after about 10 mins, I noticed he had eaten off a couple of the little "nubs" that are on the dinosaur (and swallowed them). I immediately took the dinosaur away.

I'm not sure what the long term ramifications will be, but wanted to warn others as well.

Cheers,
LordNelson

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My bullie also chews the ends off his nylabones, but I'm almost positive they're safe. Only thing I would worry about is obstruction if it were a large piece.

The bigger issue I had was, as he would chew them down, the edges would would become sharp. He's cut his mouth on those pieces so that's why I stopped giving them.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice, Buster chewed almost the entire head off the T-Rex one of those, very dangerous.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good to know...swallowed debris are nothing but trouble! I had a bully that ate Christmas tree ornaments. I'll never forget seeing the Grinch's head in that steaming pile of crap! :D

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hey all,
hope everyone's bullies are doing well!

As a brief word of warning, I ordered one of those Nylabone dental chew dinosaurs (on sale from amazon), and it arrived today! I gave it to my bulldog, and he loved it. I keep an eye on him when he gets new things and after about 10 mins, I noticed he had eaten off a couple of the little "nubs" that are on the dinosaur (and swallowed them). I immediately took the dinosaur away.

I'm not sure what the long term ramifications will be, but wanted to warn others as well.

Cheers,
LordNelson

Thanks for the heads up.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We dont use nylabones at all i think they are unsafe ,
My family boxer died not long after swallowing one .

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Many of the Nylabone toys I've used do start "crumbling, and this has always worried me. I read online, and I don't know how reliable or truthful this is, that the small pieces are not detrimental to the dog, HOWEVER, i would still be super-cautious and just toss the toys out when they start falling apart like that.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to know...swallowed debris are nothing but trouble! I had a bully that ate Christmas tree ornaments. I'll never forget seeing the Grinch's head in that steaming pile of crap! :D

​LOL!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the heads up

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Stay Away from Nylabones!!!! A local doggie dentist named his yacht "Paid 4 by Nylabones"... They are edible according to the manufacturer but would you want to swallow those pieces, little or not?? They gotta come out eventually.. Plenty of dogs chip or break teeth on them as well.. Bad bad bad news in my opinion..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the info. We have always given ours Nylabones, but the bones and never the eatable ones or the soft ones. We always buy the big ones so there is no chance of them swallowing it, and when they get worn down some we chunk them and get another.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for the info. We have always given ours Nylabones, but the bones and never the eatable ones or the soft ones. We always buy the big ones so there is no chance of them swallowing it, and when they get worn down some we chunk them and get another.

Agreed, they must be large sized. We have the Galileo ones which are incredibly big and can easily be grinded down with our Dremel when they get sharp spots.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Agreed, they must be large sized. We have the Galileo ones which are incredibly big and can easily be grinded down with our Dremel when they get sharp spots.

Is the galileo that huge white flat surface looking bone? I think that's the only one Blue didn't like because of the smooth surface. Funny too because that was the only one I would still allow.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is the galileo that huge white flat surface looking bone? I think that's the only one Blue didn't like because of the smooth surface. Funny too because that was the only one I would still allow.

Yes I think so. It's heavy too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online