Tea tree oil ?

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Has anyone tried tea tree oil for skins issues? My girl has had a stubborn tail pocket issue and we have done two sets of antibiotics and wipes 2x daily and nothing is touching it. She hates pills but I will have to look into trizchlor wipes i guess

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
A female bully of mine from years ago had an awful infection same way, it smelled horrible but I had just gotten her and was in another state driving back. She was so cute and it hurt you could tell. I took her in for her puppy check up which is where they told me what was wrong. They gave me meds and said to soak her bottom daily and just pat it as to not cause her to hurt from drying. I did this daily and the meds helped and took her back and she said it was all better. I had to do this for a week straight. My concern was the moisture from the daily soaking but it went away using a medicated soap. First time experiencing this but it was nasty smelling and a greenish color. Ewe! But thank goodness for the vet pointing that out to me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
someone here uses it... but I can not remember who :ponder:

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I use it. You have to dilute it with water though, preferably distilled. (This goes for all essential oils you use on your dog)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I don't have any experience with using tea tree oil, on my pets, but this is the I formation I found on tea tree oil and use on pets. It should always be used diluted, as it can be toxic. I usually use warm water and white vinegar or warm water and Epsom salts for soaking or rinsing my guys. I like using these things because they are inexpensive and non toxic.

Did you know that allergies can be as annoying and painful for dogs as it is for some people? Experts estimate that as many as 1 in 7 dogs suffer from allergies. And those allergies often cause symptoms such as itching, irritation, and inflammation.

Dog allergies fall into four categories and can be caused by the following things:

Fleas and other biting insects
Irritants that come in contact with the skin
Inhaled allergens, such as dust mites, molds, pollens, grasses, and molds
Foods, drugs, and supplements

In the case of skin infections related to allergies, your veterinarian may prescribe a medication, depending on the symptoms and severity of your dog’s skin infection. In some cases, mild to moderate skin infections may be effectively managed with over-the-counter, topical products. However, if left untreated such mild skin infections can develop into hot spots, which are extremely troublesome for pets.

What is tea tree oil and how can it help skin infections?
Pet guardians should be aware that pure tea tree oil (as well as other pure essential oils) is considered toxic for pets and should never be used in its pure undiluted or “raw” form.

Tea tree oil is a natural essential oil with curative properties that help soothe and protect dogs’ skin. When used correctly and in a diluted form on pets, tea tree oil can be very effective in treating and preventing topical bacterial and yeast/fungal infections. Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory, so it helps reduce skin inflammation that can lead to itchiness and irritation. It also has great antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties that can help prevent and treat a whole host of skin problems.

Due to its effectiveness, tea tree oil is found in many pet grooming products in varying diluted concentrations.

How should I administer tea tree oil to my dog?
Tea tree oil must not be ingested, and should be applied externally only, and only in its diluted form. Products such as Be Soothed Spray and Be Soothed Shampoo contain a diluted amount of tea tree oil. While the percentage of tea tree oil in these products is proprietary, rest assured they are well below the level considered toxic to dogs and puppies (over 8 weeks of age.) As with any new product, always seek the advice of your veterinarian before applying to your dog.

Tea tree oil should not be used on cats. Use caution when applying tea tree oil if you have cats in the house.

*Article updated October 17, 2013

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have used tea tree oil, and unfortunately I used it straight then I googled the side effects… Wally was lethargic & threw-up but luckily was okay. Many people swear by it, please dilute it first...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.