Benedryl for vaccinations

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
Hailey has her next round of vaccinations tomorrow (she's 10 weeks). My vet recommended giving her children's benedryl before her appointment and 4 hours after her appointment in case she has an allergic reaction.

Has anyone else done this in the past?
Thanks,
Jen

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I have never done it. But there was a thread
on here about it. And other have done this in a
proactive attempt to control any issues.

Also there was a suggestion to have it done
earlier in the day in case there was a reaction.
That way the vet will still be open and you don't
have to look for an emergency care clinic.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, I have done this with Truman when he was a puppy. I didn't give him Benadryl but the vet gave him a Benadryl injection before his vaccines, which was about $10, so it sounds like your vet is trying to save you some money. It's administered to stave off any potential reactions and, in the case of bulldogs, better safe than sorry - particularly since they have SO many allergies. It might make your puppy drowsy but Truman was just fine.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I haven't done this with my Bully girls, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I think it's like when a baby gets it's baby vaccinations and you give tylonol just in case they get feverish after the shots. I don't think it'll hurt her.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I never did it with Silva but think it sounds like a good idea. My Vet never recommends much, and when I go I have never seen the same Vet once. I am actively looking for a new Vet.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
no i havent done that with lex but does sound like the vet is trying to avoid any allergic reactions to happen after his shots.. it sure does make sense though :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it sounds like a good game plan. Is your appt. early?

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
We had to pre-medicate our baby with oral benadryl. She had a reaction with the first shot and it caused vomiting and diarrhea. It worked very well and it can prevent problems. Benadryl is something we always keep on had and it can be a lifesaver.

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
We did have an early a ppt and I did premedicate hailey.... She was totally fine :-) I love our vet! She's so helpful and you can tell she adores bullies!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Glad it worked out for you! Belly had her second round of shots the other week and had an allergic reaction. Her face swelled up and got all red. Unfortunately she didn't show any signs until AFTER the vet closed so it was off to the emergency vet and $165 later she was fine . She goes again on the 4th and they are going to give her a shot of benadryl and possibly a steroid (and we got an earlier appointment)

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
All of my dogs have had allergic reactions to their shots over the past two years. I actually have 4 dogs. I have 2 Lhasa Apsa's and 2 English Bully's. It started two years ago with my Lhasa "Tashi" she got her 5 in 1 shot and then about 5 or 6 hours later her face was swollen and she was bright red (which was hard to see with her black face) but she was definately having a reaction. I called the vet who was still there and they said well she shouldn't be having one after this long after the shot, and they told me to give her a children's dose of benedryl. Sure enough it has happened a few months ago with both of my bully's as well. Not as severe as Tashi but definately swollen face wrinkles hours later after the shot. I definately recomend the benedryl. I give the bully's the clear benedryl tabs. My vet says that dogs have a high tolerance for benedryl so for the bully's they can get 2 if they have any issues here in Florida. Remmy is highly allergic to the world. She gets a skin rash swelling disorder every summer. She ends up getting the hydrocortizone shots, pills, and gets the prednisone when at last resort with it.
I definately think something has changed with vaccines because my Lhasas are 5 and 6 years old and they never had an issue before Tashi's two years ago and now it seems to happen with every dog every year with their shots.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.