Yeast infection

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
My poor Archie is having some issues with yeast on the tear line of his left eye, a small patch around his eye, & a tiny patch on the side of his nose. It appeared so quickly! I've been reading about cleaning the area with witch hazel pads, stridex, or peroxide, but that seems like more of a preventative measure. We're going to make sure we clean his face with a pad a few times a week to keep this from happening again, but I was wondering if there were any over the counter options for clearing up what he has now.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Witch hazel is one of the best options. However, you also need to identify what is causing the yeast as it could be food related or from being wet after drinking. Things like that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Todd… if you can figure out the source that can help you tremendously. We use witch hazel on a cotton pad or duoxo pads…

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thanks for the replies! I called our vet & he prescribed Otomax & also Malacetic wipes. I picked up some witch hazel, too. I'm pretty sure it's happening because he has a lot of tight wrinkles & I think moisture is getting in when he drinks & then it stays in there. We are going to be better about cleaning his face more regularly. I feel bad that I didn't realize this could happen. �� Any ideas on how long it lasts?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
To get rid of the yeast, you need to use the malacetic or something with chlorohexidine like douxo pads. Witch Hazel is a great maintenance tool, but it won't kill the yeast.

If you're using malacetic, i would wipe him every day with it until it's all gone. It can take a few days, or longer. I know when we got Wellie, he had yeast in his nose rope. Malacetic didn't work for us, neither did Douxo. I ordered Trizchlor 4 (which has 4% chlorhexidine as opposed to the usual 3%) and it finally worked. Got rid of his yeast in 3 days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks' yeast is always worked up when her food had white potatoes in it... once I found a food with no chicken, grains or white potato, her face yeast went away.
We still struggle with her paws because of all the grass/tree allergies she has so i always wipe her face, paws and belly after each trip outside

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.