URGENT!!! first time bulldog owner

TayLinne

Oct 19, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
loulou
We just brought home loulou two days ago, shes 8 weeks old and is a very calm little girl but she loves to play too! The vet had her on blue wilderness so we bought blue wilderness puppy and have been mixing that in with her original food. She told us to soften the food really good before giving it to her(1/4 cup 3 times a day) but my moms been cheating a little with that giving it to her prolly before its softened enough...weve been noticing an excessive amount of water intake and her belly seems more bloated than it should, shes going to the bathroom perfectly fine but should we be worried with the water intake and little energy? She has a vet appointment on tuesday but any input is greatly appriciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members that can give some insight, I have not had a puppy for over 8 yrs so my memory isn't the best

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

First of all I copied a thread to educate you on the signs/symptoms of bloat… it is a very dangerous condition for bullies and needs medical attention immediately!!!
English Bulldog News Forums - About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

With our pups we have always added about 1/4 to 1/8th cup of warm water to the kibble, and let that sit for a few minutes. Some members have added balls or gotten special food bowls to slow them down during feedings. You may want to call the vet and tell them your concerns regarding her water intake and lack of energy.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! In one sentence you state "she loves to play" and in another you say "she has little energy" I am not quite sure which it is, but if she now has little energy, and her
belly is bloated-I would get her to the vet NOW. Puppy's do drink quite a bit-especially when they play alot, and they do usually have fat little bellies. But if she is lethargic
and drinking excessively, and her belly looks more bloated than usual-it could be bloat, and you don't fool with that.Or perhaps Mom has been sneaking her too much food......

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups do drink a lot of water when they play, and the food being a little hard will not hurt anything. The thing that concerns me is if she is now not wanting to play and no energy, then there is something wrong and needs to be looked at by a vet. Pups will have big tummies though, just not too big.

OP
T

TayLinne

Oct 19, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
loulou
All of your advise has been very helpful! We did end up calling our vet and she said it was most like from the food we switched it to and to put her on science diet instead, but we did have first time owners scare! She is currently bouncing around like normal amd being the naughty little puppy she is :) any signs of a bloated belly is gone!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Congratulations and Good luck with your new bully. Since this is your first bully be warned......they will eat anything, and I mean anything. Make sure you or someone has their eyes on that adorable ball of energy at all times and when not being watched that little one is in a crate or a safe place where she cannot get into any trouble. Again, good luck and take lots of pictures. In this forum we thrive on pictures. Lots of picutres!! Again congratulations on being owned by a bully!

Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Oct 1, 2014
boston, mass
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
funny notice hazel with a lil belly today but she her usual self playing and stuff she was drinking and eating boy she likes to eat but i got a feeling i know what happen she eat and i gave her a lil extra NEED TO STOP DOING THAT lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.