Possible Seizure??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wanted to give an update. I took him to a different vet yesterday (we just relocated so I'm still trying to find a good vet I like). They said his tail pocket was definitely very moist and I asked if I should try using Gold Bond powder and they said that would prob be a great idea. They also gave him a new medication to try called Apoquel that is supposed to be amazing for itching and they can hardly keep it in stock. I showed her the video and she said it did look similar to the seizure activity but since he's responsive and alert she thinks it's just the tail pocket bothering him. She said to just keep an eye on that behavior and see if it continues for now.

I gave him one of the Apoquel when we got home yesterday morning and he was still licking and acting weird for awhile. Then later I ran some errands and came back and put the powder on him and he looooved it!! He was 100% better after that. So I'm not sure if just the powder helped or if the medicine had kicked in and helped too but I'm so glad he's back to normal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] uses Apoquel on Hershey ...... keep us posted on your boy. Hope it is just the pocket bothering him

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
@Chumley uses Apoquel on Hershey ...... keep us posted on your boy. Hope it is just the pocket bothering him

Yes hopefully it's just the tail pocket...Rick rettinger had Hershey on apoquel since the beginning of the year and swears it's a miracle cure for all his allergies. Since I've had him in NY I've had to get it prescribed from his vet in Delaware and ricks wife mails it to me. It's very very hard to get in NY..they say it won't be readily available until spring 2015. I know many people who swear by it...I'm trying to wean Hershey off it to see if his allergies were maybe environmental. He's had no issues since July..I've reduced his pill from one a day to half a day and then finally half every other day. So far so good!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Ugh well I might have spoken too soon. He was fine all day then started with the licking again tonight. I've been giving him the medicine and still putting the powder on him but now he has just been laying on the floor and acting like he sees things on the floor he is trying to get. Here is a video of what he's doing...does it still look like it could just be the tail pocket bothering him still?

https://vimeo.com/109658169

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Still looks neurological to me- but since he's improved drastically with medicine these fits / small seizures could have the underlying cause of allergies. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Still looks neurological to me- but since he's improved drastically with medicine these fits / small seizures could have the underlying cause of allergies. @Libra926

agreed.... not tail pocket to me.... when Banks has tail pocket issues, she does the licking but while trying to reach thearea and/or run to a corner

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm not sure. You checked his mouth for loose teeth or a possible foreign object?

It looks like what I deal with but at the same time...it looks completely different. Keep on getting video of it. Hopefully in a week all will be back to normal.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I'm not sure. You checked his mouth for loose teeth or a possible foreign object?

It looks like what I deal with but at the same time...it looks completely different. Keep on getting video of it. Hopefully in a week all will be back to normal.

Yep I've checked everything and can't seem to find anything else. He was just licking the top of his paw all night last night. It's weird that it was the top and not the bottom.

He woke up and was fine this morning and all day today and then this evening (around the same time he started yesterday) he starting with the licking again. So weird?!?! He is either just licking the top of his paw or acting like he's trying to get something on the floor. I'll have to see if he improves any over the next few days I guess or if this is some kind of pattern.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
I just watched your video and was his butt up against something? I saw how after he finished doing his little episode, he sniffed where he was just sitting.. My dog does this as well, a little more Aggressive sometimes, but he has also been diagnosed with epilepsy and is currently on meds. Anywho, my bully does this and I use to freak out thinking he was going into an unexplained seizure, which he's never had. I firmly believe they do this as a form of pleasure. Gross, but I finally relaxed and noticed a secretion on things he was sitting on while doing this. Mine has a very tight tail pocket and even when I clean it he starts licking.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I just watched your video and was his butt up against something? I saw how after he finished doing his little episode, he sniffed where he was just sitting.. My dog does this as well, a little more Aggressive sometimes, but he has also been diagnosed with epilepsy and is currently on meds. Anywho, my bully does this and I use to freak out thinking he was going into an unexplained seizure, which he's never had. I firmly believe they do this as a form of pleasure. Gross, but I finally relaxed and noticed a secretion on things he was sitting on while doing this. Mine has a very tight tail pocket and even when I clean it he starts licking.

Yea he does that all the time too where he will sniff or lick where he was just sitting. The vet doesn't think it is seizure activity because he is alert and responds if I call his name or make a noise. They think it is just his tail pocket still bothering him. They gave him another medicine to try too, Hydroxyzone, that is supposed to help with the itchiness/anxiety/nerves.

I've still been cleaning under his pocket and putting the powder on but he's still having these little episodes, mainly at night it seems like. They've gotten a little better and he doesn't do it for long, I've just been trying to distract him when it happens.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Yea he does that all the time too where he will sniff or lick where he was just sitting. The vet doesn't think it is seizure activity because he is alert and responds if I call his name or make a noise. They think it is just his tail pocket still bothering him.

I've noticed that Buttercup tends to lick the air when I clean her tail pocket. I used to think it meant she liked it (as she smacks her lips and gets a blissed out look in her eyes when we massage around her ears) but now I realize it seems involuntary and closely resembles reflex movements.

We've also noticed she does it sometimes after she licks her vulva -- the tongue movements just seem to continue on their own. She snaps out of it easily but I now wonder if it's some kind of abnormal(?) reflex akin to the frontal release signs seen in humans with injuries to the nerves from the brain or spinal cord. Interesting to consider, but I guess we can probably add it to the pile of things I may never understand about our dear girl!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.