Possible Seizure??

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone, I originally posted about this in another section but wanted to move it over here. Here is the original thread:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...cleaning-tips/41494-tail-pocket-cleaning.html

Basically, Barkley had been acting weird since Friday morning. He started licking, biting toward his butt so I took him to the vet and they said it looks like his tail pocket might be irritated and to clean it with Duoxo pads. I've been cleaning it and giving him Benadryl but it hasn't helped and he's been really bad tonight.

Then I saw some videos of other bullies with fly biting/star gazing seizures and it looks a lot like what he is doing. Here is a video of what he's been doing. He was doing it constantly tonight for probably an hour but would stop for a second if I called his name or something. Does anyone think I should be worried this is actually a seizure or just his tail pocket bothering him??

https://vimeo.com/109409434

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes I think you are right. This could be. As Cheryl posted of Vegas above.

I'll also tag [MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION]

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would take him to see your vet. There's medication that can help.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks for the info...I'll have to take him to the vet tomorrow hopefully. It's always something with the poor little guy :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for the info...I'll have to take him to the vet tomorrow hopefully. It's always something with the poor little guy :(

Bring the videos with you- it can make a world of difference! Hugs :hug:

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
To me it looks more like he is air licking, not fly biting. Dogs usually air lick when something feels irritating like there is something in between their teeth, there is an itch somewhere they can't get to, the nose rope needs cleaning or if they are nauseous. They also do it if they are nervous or have acid reflux. Something is bugging him but it does not look like a fly biting seizure to me. In the second video, it looks like air licking as well.
Lola has fly biting seizures and when she does it, her teeth click loud and she looks around like she is actually seeing something buzzing around her and trying to catch it. She does no air lick, she more like snaps at the air. She is also completely not responsive during the episodes.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION] thanks for the info! I didn't catch it in this video but he does also do some sort or lip smacking. Not sure if it's exactly fly biting but kind of like he is trying to catch something from falling out of his mouth I guess? He was in his crate earlier too and kept walking around and doing this toward the floor like he was trying to get stuff that wasn't there.

He just won't settle down and anytime he has to move somewhere he scurries over to put his back or butt on a wall or corner. I just want him to be back to normal :(

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
To me it looks more like he is air licking, not fly biting. Dogs usually air lick when something feels irritating like there is something in between their teeth, there is an itch somewhere they can't get to, the nose rope needs cleaning or if they are nauseous. They also do it if they are nervous or have acid reflux. Something is bugging him but it does not look like a fly biting seizure to me. In the second video, it looks like air licking as well.
Lola has fly biting seizures and when she does it, her teeth click loud and she looks around like she is actually seeing something buzzing around her and trying to catch it. She does no air lick, she more like snaps at the air. She is also completely not responsive during the episodes.

I wish is was that easy, but unfortunately....Vegas has had idiopathic epilepsy for over 6 years now. This is another type of neurological disorder found in the same part of the brain that give people Parkinsons. He was diagnosed with this disorder in 2012 by his neurologist. He suffers from these fits anywhere from one to 10 times a day.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
He just won't settle down and anytime he has to move somewhere he scurries over to put his back or butt on a wall or corner. I just want him to be back to normal :(

That almost does sound like his has an itch that can't be scratched. Putting his butt into a corner or wall....

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I wish is was that easy, but unfortunately....Vegas has had idiopathic epilepsy for over 6 years now. This is another type of neurological disorder found in the same part of the brain that give people Parkinsons. He was diagnosed with this disorder in 2012 by his neurologist. He suffers from these fits anywhere from one to 10 times a day.
Wow.... thats amazing. I did not realize how many different types of idiopathic epilepsy there were. Lola has it as well, though it does not occur frequently enough to require meds. I know parkinsons is a disorder due to the bosy's insufficient production of dopamine. Is his similar? Like tremors?

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wow.... thats amazing. I did not realize how many different types of idiopathic epilepsy there were. Lola has it as well, though it does not occur frequently enough to require meds. Does Vegas receive dopamine?

No...
He's on Zonisamide
Potassium Bromide
and Phenobarbital.

He suffers from grand mal seizures every 3 to 6 weeks...but this other "lesser" issue is an every day thing. Very rarely we go a night without him putting his face in a corner having a licking fit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Nitschke used to air lick all the ime... but when he did it, he never moved, just laid in the same spot, head still and licking away. I always thought it was one of his OCD things, becasue once he stopped, he would just cuddle up and go to sleep.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Just wanted to give an update. I took him to a different vet yesterday (we just relocated so I'm still trying to find a good vet I like). They said his tail pocket was definitely very moist and I asked if I should try using Gold Bond powder and they said that would prob be a great idea. They also gave him a new medication to try called Apoquel that is supposed to be amazing for itching and they can hardly keep it in stock. I showed her the video and she said it did look similar to the seizure activity but since he's responsive and alert she thinks it's just the tail pocket bothering him. She said to just keep an eye on that behavior and see if it continues for now.

I gave him one of the Apoquel when we got home yesterday morning and he was still licking and acting weird for awhile. Then later I ran some errands and came back and put the powder on him and he looooved it!! He was 100% better after that. So I'm not sure if just the powder helped or if the medicine had kicked in and helped too but I'm so glad he's back to normal!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online