Help Needed! Random vomiting seems completely unprovoked.

Millistroni

Oct 19, 2014
Vermont
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Hey EBN community! I'm hoping you all could give me some advice on my sick 3 year old bulldog- Millie. Sorry for so much text I just want to paint a clear picture.

This past Tuesday night I picked up Millie and carried her to bed (what a spoiled brat :rolleyes:) but after I set her down she got sick and vomited. I shrugged it off (Millie is known to drink too much water -too quickly and then vomit). She kind of just sat there on her bed for a bit and curled up in a ball and went to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later to vomit EVERYWHERE. She had originally thrown up all her food so what I found in the morning was just little "puke puddles" of watery slime. Millie was shaking, clearly dehydrated, and had hives on her sides. I realized this was most likely an allergic reaction but she wouldn't take any benadryl or water. At this point I was pretty hysterical. She was shaky and I could hear her stomach gurgling. She also wouldn't stop licking her lips. I was uncomfortable leaving her alone when I went to work (at 5:30am) so I bit the bullet and took her to the dread emergency vet clinic.

At the clinic they agreed that it was most likely an allergic reaction (they were convinced she got into human medication or something non-food... despite no real evidence). They gave her fluid under the skin, an anti-histamine shot, and anti-naseau shot. I was instructed to withhold food for 24 hours and she genuinely looked a bit better by the time we got home.

By Tuesday evening Millie was bouncing around like normal and playing with my other dogs like nothing ever happened. My friends even thought I had been dramatic for taking her to the clinic because she looked healthy by the end of the day. On Wednesday I started to give her small amounts of her normal food (Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Brown rice) and she kept it down fine. I thought we were in the clear. (Sidenote: I had purchase a new bag of food a few days before she got sick- I returned the bag to petco and bought 2 smaller bags of the same food after bringing her home from the vet. It seemed strange that she got sick right when I started her on a new bag. And I figured it couldn't hurt)

Last night (3 days after the vet visit) my roommate called and said Millie was vomiting again and that her head was "lumpy". I ran home and found millie acting completely normal. I had fed her once (around 10am) and the vomiting occurred around 9pm after no real physical activity. Her "lumpy head" was actually just her normal lumpy skull haha. I didn't see any hives. It was like she just vomited out of nowhere. At this point I didn't even believe that she was the dog that got sick.

Then (after being home for maybe a half hour) the lip smacking happened again. Millie got the shakes and started drooling out of no where. I knew that she would vomit again. My vet had mentioned this was a sign that she is nauseous and that I could try to give her Pepto in a pill form. So I spilt half a chewable pill and tucked it in some plain white bread. This plan completely backfired and its like we had vomit deja vu... little puddles of vomit with just a foamy yellow water and no food. Probably 3 times within 2 hours. I left a little bowl of water out (which she really didn't touch) wrapped her in a blanket and we both went to bed.

I don't even know what to do at this point. The vomiting doesn't seem to be brought on by eating food or drinking water. I was feeding her in the morning and yet she puked at night. To me that doesn't scream food allergy. She doesn't have itchy eyes or paws. She has been eating the same food for a few years. The vomiting isn't happening after physical activity. We aren't using new cleaners or detergents. Both my other dogs are completely healthy. I don't think its a "blockage" because her poo is normal. Do dogs get stomach bugs? I feel like another vet visit is imminent but I was hoping you all would have some advice. Thanks for reading!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, they do get stomach bugs.... place her on the bland diet (boiled beef or chicken and rice). We just went through this with Banks... there is an anti-naseau pill the vet can give you along with doggie-pepto (begins with an S.. can't remember the name right now.

Also, nutro may not be agreeing with her any longer, but do the bland diet for at least 3 - 5 days and see if she improves on day one at all

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Christine, dogs can get stomach bugs, and a bland diet would be a good idea, because he is vomiting. He also could be developing an allergy to his food, my female Blossom has always been allergic to chicken and salmon, and had been on Fromm's Beef Frittata for the past 2 years with no symptoms, then she started to show allergy signs again, she was licking her paws excessively, and her paws and chin were pink. Interestingly though was that my male Bulldozer who had never showed any signs of allergies and could eat any food, started showing allergy symptoms, he got hives, he was licking his paws so much that they were soggy and had changed colour, he smelled yeasty, and his eyes were goopy, but what I noticed the most was how much he was shedding. I had a dust pan full of his hair everyday, and when I pet him, the hair was flying everywhere. I switched them both to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil about 3 months ago, and they are both doing well on this protein. Allergies can start or change at any time, and I'm wondering if they are sensitive or prone to allergies if being on the same protein can build up an intolerance? You should still watch him for signs of obstruction as they can show initial signs of vomiting or diarrhea, and then these can subside and they will act, play, eat, and poop normal. My male Dozer has a habit of eating socks, and 3 times he swallowed a sock, he threw it up a week later, and the fourth time, he had the sock in his stomach for a whole month before he threw it up, but he didn't show any signs at all, he ate and played normal, and then one morning just threw up the sock.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, put her on a bland diet for a few days to see if that improves, plus I would try a different food for her. Hope she gets better soon.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
This kind of sounds like bilious vomiting. Some EBs (mine included) build up on acid especially if their bellies are empty for an extended amount of time. The first instance could be a combination of allergies and bilious vomiting but if his first and only meal was at 10am and he didn't start vomiting yellow bile until 9pm makes me suspect he is building up too much stomach acid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.