General Question Mammary Gland Cancer?? (Sally)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
When I turned Sally over to do her nails just a bit ago, I immediately noticed two good size lumps at her mammary glands as she lays upside down between my legs (it's the two rears close to her lady bit). They were not there 3 weeks ago, I surely would have noticed if they were. My heart sunk and mammary gland cancer is what first came to mind. The one closest to her lady bit is 1 3/4"round and the next nipple up that one is 2" long x 1"wide. that one feels like it could be 3 small ones joined together. I'll be calling her vet tomorrow.

I was just telling Mike last night that I have noticed the last few weeks that when she first gets up in the morning she immediately sits back down (she used to always stretch first). Not sure if that's related but the timing's right?

Sigh........

Oh here's the pics I just took.

IMG_4842.jpgIMG_4843.jpgIMG_4844.jpgIMG_4845.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh no, I will pray it is nothing serious. Poor sweet Sally.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. I hope it isn't what you think it is. Hopefully your vet will have some good news after he checkes her out. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Oh Jennie i hope its nothing serious hun xx please keep us updated -sending positive thoughts to you and Sally
I never had to deal with this myself so i cant really send any advice xx
This is all the info on symptoms i could find
Mammary tumors in dogs will show you several symptoms, and most of them will be both very apparent as well as frightening. Mammary tumors will first surface in one of two fashions; as a single mass swelling or multiple swellings. When they do surface, they will be very easy to detect as they appear as a gentle palpating that is occurring in the mammary glands. If you see this happening, gently touch them. If they feel like small gravel, all of your warning signals should go off.

They are usually very hard and if they are, do the next test which is trying to move them, but very gently. If they do not move at all, this is even more of a confirmation. Most all dogs have five mammary glands, and each of these glands will have a nipple that are located on both the right and left side of their lower abdomen. This form of cancer can affect all five of these glands, but it usually affects the fourth and fifth gland.

If you were to image a number sequence on your dog looking at them as they are standing, the first gland is located right below their front shoulder, but of course on their abdomen. However, this will help to paint a picture in your mind of where they are located. This number sequence will continue one thru five, with five being located right above their rear legs, but on their belly. Check the fourth and fifth glands first. This helps to identify this potential killer much easier in the initial stages. Once you have identified them, watch very closely for the next symptoms.

In most every case of mammary tumors, there will be more than one growth that you will observe. Although it may be very difficult for an owner to identify what type of tumor it is, there are some very helpful methods. Benign tumors are in most every case very smooth as well as very small, almost like a pea. They will also grow very slowly. Conversely, malignant tumors are almost the complete opposite. They will have very irregular shapes, are very firm, and they grow extremely fast.

There are also several other symptoms and early warning signs to watch for. The next set of signs is bruising of your dog’s skin directly over these growths, as well as ulcerations or open wounds on the mammary glands themselves. If your dog starts to bleed anywhere on their skin, this is also a real warning sign. However, if these warning signs are not enough to frighten you, the next two will; a difficulty in breathing as well as coughing.

Coughing will usually precede the difficulty in breathing, and is the most dangerous warning sound you will ever hear your dog make. Your dog may cough briefly if they have eaten or drank too fast, but this will be a sudden and persistent cough for no apparent reason. You know you know the reason; they are signaling you that something is very wrong.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Jeannie I am so praying this is not what you think, I will be waiting for your update after visiting the vet :hug:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I read a bunch of stuff on it before posting and it has to be either tumors or cancer of the mammary gland and being as there's that one that has multiple lumps together I'm not getting a good feeling. She seems fine though. Pati thanks for that info, I'll take all I can get right now. I may not be able to get her into her vet tomorrow (he's always full and his staff can be rude about that). If I have can't get her within a reasonable time (a few days ), I'll take her somewhere else.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My heart just absolutely sank when I saw this Jeannie…
I have no advice, I'm just sending lots of prayers that this is nothing serious… PLEASE keep us posted!!! We just LOVE sweet Sally :angelheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sending prayers they are nothing.... Doug just went through this with Mia and her's turned out to be 'clean' but both nipples needed to be removed. i tagged him as maybe he can give some insight

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm hoping and praying for you and Sally that it isn't what you think it is, and that it's something like a cyst instead. I'll be watching for your updates and keeping my fingers and toes crossed, and praying hard for good news. I hope Sally is okay.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My heart just sank- I'm so sad to hear this news.... I do know that many rescues have had this and had surgery to remove the mammary glands and their teets- so don't lose hope. Sending hugs and prayers :grouphug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Cadence has cancer of the mammary gland too. They removed it and so far she has been fine. Hope only good things for sweet Sally

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry to hear this and hoping for the best. Hopefully it was caught in time and she will recovery quickly if surgery is needed. Sending good thoughts and prayers her way.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I won't jump the gun until she's seen but one of the things that would really concern with her is her having surgery in general due to her age. I'm stressing a bit about that truth be told. :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Me too, Jeannie, I pray Sally doesn't have what you are suspecting. She's such a sweetheart and so loved...we are all hoping and praying for good news!! :pray::hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online