Potential blockage?

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble stayed with a pet sitter over the weekend. Since we got him on Monday, he has had diarrhea off and on and has thrown up 3 times. I know that those are signs of blockage but are they this inconsistent? He is not lethargic and otherwise acts like himself. The first time he threw up there were some toy pieces in there so I know he ate something (and I have gone round and round with the pet sitter). Do I take him to the vet on Monday? Or if it was a blockage would it be all the time and him acting lethargic?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
could be a partial blockage where there is still some movement, but not enough. With all you stated, if he continues that way, i would be at the vet on Monday.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think the vet called what Blue had a partial blockage.. (not positive though). Meaning, it was still in his stomach so he wasn't lethargic and not throwing up most of the time. It was just when he would lay or sit in a specific position that he would throw up. He was still eating and playing, no lethargy.

Vet said it kept moving around his stomach and depending on where it "landed", it may or may not cause an obstruction. He swallowed the squeaker from a Kong toy, and had it removed via an endoscopy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tiffany, it sounds like he could have an obstruction, and you have seen some pieces come out, so you know he's swallowed something. Are the pieces soft like rubber material, then there is no worry of anything puncturing him on the inside. He is vomiting and has diarrhea which are signs of obstruction or swallowing an object, and he can have these signs off and on, and still act normal like playing, eating, peeing and pooping. Other signs to look for are water drooling from the mouth, like a clear puddle of water or saliva, and acting lethargic, but these signs often don't happen either. I would keep an eye on him, and watch his poops to see if he passes anything. Hopefully he passed all the pieces already.
if he still has the signs in a day or two, then I would take him to the vet and have a barium X-ray done, because objects like rubber and toys, or material won't show on a regular X-ray, also the vet can feel his tummy to see if there any masses in there. My male Dozer has swallowed sweat socks on 4 different occasions, and he has always been able to either poop them out or throw them up. 3 times it took a week before he passed them, and the last time, he threw up the sock a whole month after he had swallowed it. He acted and ate normal each time.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Take Rumble to the Vet Monday, I Pray all is ok with this Sweet Soul.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rumble stayed with a pet sitter over the weekend. Since we got him on Monday, he has had diarrhea off and on and has thrown up 3 times. I know that those are signs of blockage but are they this inconsistent? He is not lethargic and otherwise acts like himself. The first time he threw up there were some toy pieces in there so I know he ate something (and I have gone round and round with the pet sitter). Do I take him to the vet on Monday? Or if it was a blockage would it be all the time and him acting lethargic?

any update?

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rumble has not thrown up since Saturday night and has not had diarrhea. He has what my husband and I call soft but formed poop. It is not as hard as it normally is but it still formed and not complete liquid either. We are keeping an eye on him for now and if he throws up again or has diarrhea again, we are taking him to the vet. Thank you for all of the opinions!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rumble has not thrown up since Saturday night and has not had diarrhea. He has what my husband and I call soft but formed poop. It is not as hard as it normally is but it still formed and not complete liquid either. We are keeping an eye on him for now and if he throws up again or has diarrhea again, we are taking him to the vet. Thank you for all of the opinions!

:whew: hopefully, he just had a little stomach bug

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rumble has had more diarrhea off and on. It was really bad yesterday and then today he has not pooped at all. He is acting fine. Running around, eating, not lethargic at all. He threw up a little bit of foam last weekend but I blame it on the fact that we fed him early so he had nothing in his stomach. He goes to the vet tomorrow morning at 915. What do I need to ask and what should I expect? Is surgery the only option if he ate something a month ago?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rumble has had more diarrhea off and on. It was really bad yesterday and then today he has not pooped at all. He is acting fine. Running around, eating, not lethargic at all. He threw up a little bit of foam last weekend but I blame it on the fact that we fed him early so he had nothing in his stomach. He goes to the vet tomorrow morning at 915. What do I need to ask and what should I expect? Is surgery the only option if he ate something a month ago?

Ask for an X-ray at the least

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ask for an X-ray at the least

In true Rumble fashion he gets to the vet and then poops! The vet said there does not appear to be a blockage but that his large intestine is inflamed from what she thinks is a bacterial infection. She sent him home with powder to put on his food. If he does not poop again in 24 hours, he has to go back for an enema. The vet was unsure of what would cause the infection. We are double cleaning everything just in case and are going to watch him more carefully on our walks in case he picked up something from someone else's yard. So thankful it does not appear to be a blockage.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
In true Rumble fashion he gets to the vet and then poops! The vet said there does not appear to be a blockage but that his large intestine is inflamed from what she thinks is a bacterial infection. She sent him home with powder to put on his food. If he does not poop again in 24 hours, he has to go back for an enema. The vet was unsure of what would cause the infection. We are double cleaning everything just in case and are going to watch him more carefully on our walks in case he picked up something from someone else's yard. So thankful it does not appear to be a blockage.

I have gone through this with both of my boys. Brutus gets bacterial infections from stress believe it or not, and Frankie just had one as well that looked like a partial obstruction on film. Ultrasound was clear. I think really the littlest thing can cause an infection in their tummies. I hope Rumble feels better soon.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

is the powder Tylan?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.