Hip Dysplasia Treatment

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Had xrays taken yesterday and found out my 2.5 year old girl has hip dysplasia. She is a little slow to get up some mornings, but seems to do just fine once she warms up. Since she is so young, I would like to treat her rather than going a pain management approach. My vet suggested a stem cell treatment where stem cells are removed from her fat and injected into her hips. He said it takes about 3/4 if a day and is about $1800. There will be some swelling but its relatively non-invasive. Another option is to send her to ISU to do hip replacements, which run about $3000/hip and have a longer recovery period. He said he has had very good results with stem cell treatment for dogs with hip dysplasia as well as other issues. Anyone have experience with any of these treatments (or other routes)? Thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did stem cell for our boy's knees and hips.... he was 7 yrs old and turned into a puppy after the procedure. it takes about a 6 weeks to see the results, but he did great on it. It was the best money ever spent.

OP
R

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thanks for the reply! Were the results long-lasting? My husband is concerned that this may turn into a reoccurring treatment...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the reply! Were the results long-lasting? My husband is concerned that this may turn into a reoccurring treatment...

You can have extra cells frozen and they last forever, so if he does need more treatment down the road, you just pay for the injections. Nitschke, unfortunately, past about 8 months after we did the procedure (heart gave out), but those last 6 months for him were awesome... he played, ran, walked, jumped like he was 6 months old again. Even knowing what I do now, I would still do it for him again.

OP
R

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thanks for the information, you've been so helpful!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the information, you've been so helpful!

if you have anymore questions... let me know. I still have all his records so i can look stuff up that I don't remember ;)

Most Reactions