Bully Not Eating

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Hello all,

My Marly seems to lost her appetite. I usally feed her twice a day once in the morning before I go to work at 5am and again at 5PM. For the last week she hasnt been eating in the morning but in the evening she will eat about 1 1/2 scoops of food and she has no problem drinking water. I took her to the vet on Saturday and there is nothing physcially wrong with her.She weighs about 33 pounds and is currently 8 months old. She is currently eating Nature's Valley Prairie Lamb and oatmeal which she liked it at first but I dont know if she just doesnt like it no more.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
How is she with treats? You could offer her something different and see if that made a difference. Another flavor of the same food doesn't require much of a transition and it may bring her interest back.

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
she eats the treats with no problem. Ironaically are also Nature's Valley. I should probabaly change up her treats also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Bully not Eating

Hi Dan,
It is always odd when a bulldog denys a bowl of food, any kind of food! But this has happened to me before, and I came to find out the bag was sour. I don't know where that food ranks for health and nutrition, check out the dog food ratings.

My last question is there any chance she has swallowed something? Everytime Yuna or Jesse swallow something, they are not themselves for a while, until it comes out the backside. :poo: Both of these lovely young ladies must be watched like a hawk, and I must be very particular about the toys they play with. Most recently, a giant toy cigar fell victim to their wrath, and half of it went down yuna's throat.

Just continue to watch for signs of lethargy, check for hydration, and make sure she is pooping and peeing. I would probably change her food too.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Fromm has some good Grain Free treats but many members use baby carrots or frozen green beans. Princess Gracie wont eat the carrots or beans tho....:rolleyes:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank went through a period where he didn't eat his kibble at all and we were a little worried. But we switched to a different brand and he started eating again. But he can be a bit picky. We have noticed he doesn't really like anything with fish in it. So it has been a bit of a struggle to find a food he likes and that agrees with him. For treats we give him frozen green beans, carrots, small amounts of cottage cheese or yogurt, and he also likes EVO beef treats that we break into smaller pieces and use for training.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

I agree with desertsky's advice. Is she eating snacks still in the evening or is she just not hungry? If it is the food you would think she would still be eating other goodies in the foods place, or wanting them anyhow. My boy is a pig and has never denied eating any food at all, unless we leave him home alone. The only time the food and water dont get touched is when we leave the house but the boys make up for that like crazy once we do get home. lol

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar

I agree with desertskybulldogs, Good luck and I hope she jumps back into her reg feedings soon. Just keep an eye on her.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster

Great advice from desertsky. It is a good sign that she is eating her PM meal and I assume she keeps food and water down. The only time my Bullys have not eaten is when there has been a blockage, and then they would usually eat and puke and eat the puke; that would continue until I got it cleaned up! Try topping her meal with some lean ground meat cooked with garlic powder, Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I want to elaborate and say that it was a TOY cigar, a very large one, (about 12 inches long) that is meant for tug o war. Think it was a tuffy toy. It was not a real cigar, I know my original post sounded like it was. Edited!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
No advice here since I have never had a problem with Lola or Brodie eating....actually could not imagine Brodie NOT eating! My issues is his eating too fast and always hungry. You have come to the right spot for advice though and will get plenty of it. I will say that Marly is certainly a pretty girl!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I merged the two topics as I was getting confused, thinking "I know I replied to this topic!" and realized there was two.

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Nice feed back. Its sad but I think its her food.. Its pretty expensive food for her not to like.... I give her carrots and yogurt from time to time... I just bought her some grain free treats and if it doesnt change in the next couple of days im going to go back to Nutro Ultra puppy food and hopefully this helps. She is not vommitting or doesnt have any diaherra or anything..

Shes pretty good about not eating stuff off the ground. She is so high maintainced.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=979]Dan75208[/MENTION]: I have two girls, almost 8 months old. I feed Nature's Variety Prairie. Did you mean Nature's VARIETY or is there a Nature's Valley Prairie too. Anyway, my girls eat am and pm. I mix in something with their food. Not to entice them to eat, but just for variety. In the morning they get a big tablespoon of cottage cheese, plain yogart, or canned pumpkin, or some banana smashed up. They always dive right in and eat it all. I wonder if Marley would eat better if you added something to her food like I do? I really like Nature's Variety Prairie, I've fed this since the girls came home. I feed chicken tho, I haven't tried the lamb.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.