MLK0568

Oct 16, 2014
Gastonia NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

My 2 year old English/Olde English has developed some issues on and off for the past year. I took him to the vet last month and was prescribed several medications including an antibiotic, anti fungal, steroid, and a medicated shampoo. I have cut all grains and chicken from his diet and have closely monitored what cleaning products I use in the house that he will come in contact with. When he was on the medications he cleared up wonderfully and had never looked better. The vet made the comment that when he finished his rounds of medications and if the issue came back we would have to test him for an autoimmune disorder. Well the past few days I noticed that his face has become very red and almost looks swollen and he is back to licking his paws to the point where they are red and puffy. I gave him a bath with the medicated shampoo and noticed that a large portion of his hair on his back fell out, it seemed like the majority of his undercoat was gone and there were a few scabbed over spots. The vet that he currently sees is very nice but it seems as if it is more of a "lets try this and see what happens" scenario. I am trying to find a vet that has bullie experience in my area but so far I've gotten mixed reviews. I was wondering if anyone had experience with autoimmune disorders and could provide me with info on what to expect just in case that is what is going on. We have another appointment at the end of the week to see if we can get him some relief. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for your time and input.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree .. this all sounds like environmental allergies... gras, pollen, trees, etc. Both my bullies have/had lots of them.... Benedryl helps give some relief and I also wipe them down after each outting (paws, belly, face). My girl, Banks, gets very red faced, hives and paw licking if I do not keep her clean. But, my boy, Nitschke, was more like you explain... sores, red face, swelling - he also had many staph infections (scabs around the sides/back). What we did for him, was alot of the same, wiping after being out, supplements to boast the immune system (can't remember them, they were prscribed from the vet, will see if I still have the papers) and placed him on a raw food.

OP
MLK0568

MLK0568

Oct 16, 2014
Gastonia NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I appreciate the responses. I wipe him down once a day but I will def start doing that after each outing. I just hate to see him so miserable. After reading the suggested articles it does seem more like what you suggested with the environmental allergies. He didn't really have these issues until we moved to a house with a yard. Before we lived in an apartment and he was mainly playing and using the bathroom on mulch in a dog area. I am def interested in a supplement for him if you could suggest what your babies were on. Again Thanks! I've always had rescued mixed breeds and this is the first time with a sensitive fur baby so its def been a learning experience.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I appreciate the responses. I wipe him down once a day but I will def start doing that after each outing. I just hate to see him so miserable. After reading the suggested articles it does seem more like what you suggested with the environmental allergies. He didn't really have these issues until we moved to a house with a yard. Before we lived in an apartment and he was mainly playing and using the bathroom on mulch in a dog area. I am def interested in a supplement for him if you could suggest what your babies were on. Again Thanks! I've always had rescued mixed breeds and this is the first time with a sensitive fur baby so its def been a learning experience.

I have autoimmune diseases, many come with an increased sensitivity to the sun as do
many meds that treat them so I'd let him out early am & late pm, when outside he needs
to be shielded from direct rays & out very briefly. The sun can & does cause the diseases
to 'be active' and cause symptoms to worsen & possibly, attacking the body, organs, skin,
connective tissue & muscle. Having a yard and being out MORE and LONGER could be WHY
he's having more issues & worsening. Most definitely put on grain free, soy free food, he is
probably going to have more sensitivity to chemicals, preservatives, etc. Good luck and please
let us know how he does. I would try to avoid going on steroids unless he has a flare and then
only briefly. I manage my Lupus & Sjogren's the same as I've told you here, he also needs a
great multi/mineral supplement as our bodies do not metabolize correctly from our diets.
GOD bless & favor you & yours, give Winston love from me & Cami <3

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online