bumps on belly

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i tried searching some threads here but forgive me, i gave up and wanted to ask out right as i didn't see anything exactly what i am going to ask about.

i've had Bullet for going on 3 wks now and have kept him on his foods and snacks as he has known...other than a few half pieces of Milk Bone brand dog buscuits that my older dog has enjoyed on occasion for a treat over the years.

it's a learning experience to have two different dogs that have different diets. i caved a few times when i couldn't sneak the treat to my lab so i would give Bullet half of a med. sized buscuit. well, i stopped doing that three days ago when i noticed a pimple looking bump on his lower belly area. i figured it was either an ingrown hair or an allergic reaction to that treat.

today i see 4 more bumps. they don't have a head like a pimple but they are raised up and look like they could have puss inside. skin still seems smooth not scabby or anything. then as i was sitting here at my desk i notice him bitting his back leg and he has broke the skin and there are a few bumps along the top of his leg area.

should i give him benadryl? i plan to bath him this evening for the first time. he was groomed the day i picked him up and i have given him a couple "washcloth baths" over the last couple weeks. i do wipe his face before bed and dry out his wrinkles.

i'm not wanting to worry but i have only gotten a couple recommendations on vets as his previous owner lives far away. my vet is a small town vet and i would prefer to find another that has more exprience with bulldogs. ugh, i will figure the vet situation out tomorrow...i should have already done this. :crazy:

anyone else have similar experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
Hi Amy,

I have 3 bully boys, one with minor allergies and one with severe allergies. While they still have allergies, it's nothing like it was in the past. We went through months and months of trying to figure out what causes or triggers their allergies. We've finally figured out that Chicken is a major contributor to their allergies. So we have all three on strict "no chicken" diets. We feed them Wellness Core - Ocean Formula - which is a great grain free food. Also, two of my boys are on daily doses of benadryl. One in the morning and one at night. This, combined with the diet, has greatly helped their symptoms. I've gone through numerous allergy prescriptions from the vet and nothing has worked. I was at the vet probably 5 or 6 times a month because the allergies were so bad. Benadryl seems to do the best. Now we typically give them the dye free kind - when we can find it.

My bully with the severe allergies has had the bumps that you describe. The first time I noticed it, we traced it back to the soap we were washing his towels and blankets with. Now we only use laundry detergent for senstitive skin. I just used a cortizone cream and benadryl and that did the trick. The other thing that could cause the bumps is staph. From what I understand, all dogs have staph on their skin, just some are allergic to it while others are not. My boy is of course allergic to it. I just took him to the vet on Friday for a recent flare up. To get rid of it, it takes a course of antibiotics and steriods.

I hope this helps!

(Boys from left to right - Winston (severe allergies), Oliver (minor allergies), Truman - lucked out <smile>)
IMG_0688 copy.jpg

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I never had the problem with my bullies, but I had a boxer that did and a bath with medicated shampoo that contains peroxide, took care of it for me.

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
thanks for the concern, info and suggestions. i did the benadryl yesterday and today and the bumps seem to be almost gone. he hasn't really been biting his leg anymore so i am going to assume it was because of those nasty treats. :crazy:

i'm going to try to remember next time to take pics when things arrise (knock on wood that they DON'T tho.).

thanks again!

Cat01

Jan 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Maddie
The thing that has worked wonders for Maddie is bathing in an aloe shampoo that I get from the vet. She also has mild bumps and itchy face from time to time, which clear up immediately with a bath in it. Hopefully, you will find something that works out for you soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.