weird subject... anal glad fluid.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
So this is a yucky subject! I never had to take Izzy to express her anal glads... her vet also told me she was fine (I asked him about the subject after reading a thread here, she never had any symptom that they were infected or full). But sometimes she will leave her mark around the house... or on me.

When I first got her I though the smell was from her tail pocket... but I kept that area clean and I even picked her up one day and smelled to make sure the smell in my couch was not the same smell from her tail.... so this has happened a few times when I have her on my lap sitting up.... (doesnt happen ALL the time, but about 6-8 times in the past two years).... And we all know how bad the smell is... it drives me CRAZY!

The other night she was sleeping in my bed and I wake up with her licking the bed sheets... all my bedding is white or cream color :nonono: so I noticed a brown spot on my bed sheet where she was licking... took a quick snif at it and YUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It smelled like the fluid that comes out of her anal glands! Is this normal to naturally express them like this? If she is leaking from time to time does it mean they are full?

All I know I was screaming at 1am because not only she got my bed dirty and smelling like a dead animal but she manage to get on top of my ipad cover too!!!! No more sleeping in bed for Miss Izzy!

Just wondering if this is normal... I thought they would only express the fluid when doing #2.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep, I believe it can be normal. Every now and then it happens with Banks , but since I wipe her after each outing, (grass allergies) it has not been an issue

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Usually the glands express normally when they poop. I would think that her glands need expressing if she is "leaking" that often.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How is her stool? Is it nice and firm? If not that could be part of the problem. The stool must be firm to express naturally. However, there are many bulldogs out there that still get full glands even with firm stool.

If that's the case, you may need to have them expressed regularly to prevent a leakage.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Some of the dogs I have had never needed their glands expressed. Others needed it quite often. My male Mal. needed it about once every two months. I just think it depends on the individual dog. That has just been my experience.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
They can self express too. It happens in the vets office quite often. For us, it seems to be Hank in m car when he gets excited.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] it's firm and nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=12858]Chanticocat[/MENTION] izzy gets super excited when she jumps in my lap or bed.... So I'm wondering if she expresses it on those situations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, sometimes if they get excited or scared-they will "release" and you will definitely know it!

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Yep, that brings a whole new meaning to the term "transmission fluid". ( Two things ya should know about me : 1 I'm a bit over tired at the moment and 2 I used to dispatch trucks.I'm just gonna apologize for my humor now..I'm sorry.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online