Cherry eye story and recommendation

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
I was hoping I would avoid the cherry eye monster but sadly Reggie got one two weeks ago. I let him out in the garden all fine and twenty minutes later I went out and it had appeared.

I am a big wuss and totally squeamish so the thought of pushing it back was a no go, in fact I struggled to even look at it as I even worse around eyes! I spoke to the breeder and he said he you want to stop it completely (I was in a right flap) then you have to look at surgery. My vet looks at stitching them but I have heard of horror stories about it looking unsightly, getting infected etc. the option was to cut it out. By this time I was well worried.

I was recommended a vet practice called Emerald vets in a place called Tumble in Carmarthenshire. To my relief the vet said its a 10min job and after he checks that he has come round properly he can be back in your arms within half an hour and go home. There were 3 other Bulldogs in the surgery waiting for the same procedure!!! Which goes to show how good a reputation they have got. One couple were from Birmingham.

All in all with the waiting time to be seen (which was pleasant as we were talking to the other Bulldog owners), we were there 40 minutes. His eye was red for a couple of days and we put drops in for 2 days but it quickly whitened again. Three weeks on Reggie eye is fab we have no problems and it's not too dry either. I don't have the worry of it coming back (only the other eye now). I would highly recommend this vet for anyone in the Wales area or those that may want to travel!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Cherry eye is a part of the tear gland.
I opted to get it stitched back in. You cannot tell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413013953.095743.jpg

My friend got his cut out and now he needs drops 2 x a day due to dry eye.
The gland is there for a reason, keep it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with Jimmy. If the gland is taken away it's very likely he will develope dry eye sooner or later. My other boy had had one eye stiched and you can't tell the difference.

OP
Jocha25

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
It's a bit late now as I have done it. I was warned of that same as I was warned of possible complications through stitching. He hasn't had any dryness yet so I will keep my fingers crossed.

OP
Jocha25

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
I will keep my eye on it if you excuse the pun :0s

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm also in the camp of "get it tacked". One of mine had both eyes done a year ago, and they look perfect.

But I have heard of it coming back right after the tacking. And I remember it didn't work for Lily (@Pati Robins ). Poor girl had it done twice, neither time took. One of her eyes wasn't healing properly, etc. - nothing but problems.
Pati finally decided to have it removed.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also opted to have Blossoms eyes tacked back in. She developed cherry eye in both eyes when she was 5 months old. I waited until she was 7 months old, and had her spayed and her eyes repaired at the same time. My vet doesn't remove the gland, she tacks them back in. It has been 2 years since her surgery, and both her eyes are beautiful, you would never know she had cherry eye or surgery. We had no problems, or complications of swelling or infection, and she recovers completely from both surgeries in a week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 121

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The experienced members gave you good info.... Best of luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Cool, glad he is doing well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts