xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
So for the last two weeks Jovi has been limping on her right leg and then all of a sudden she couldnt lift herself even up so we rushed her to the Animal ER and the vet said her left leg was swollen and sore and ALL she prescribed us were pain meds after a HUGE freaking vet bill. Which has now left me completely broke. So a week later (today) she is not even able to lift herself up. I have tried to get her out of her crate and she will move her front body up and instantly slip and fall down, her back legs will not work. I don't know what to do and I am furiated that the vet didnt even prescribe anti inflammatory pills. Anybody know what could be the issue?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
oh no! i have no clue what it could be, but i'm going to tag a few members that may know ... hope they'll chime in soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg, this is awful news! Is her leg still swollen? Something is certainly not right. I know valley fever can cause leg mobility issues, other than that I can only think something may be going on with her spine? Have you taken her temperature?

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes the vet took blood work and her temp and all she said was her right leg (i accidently said left leg) was swollen and she probably sprained it. But not it seems that both of her back legs are not working. When I pick Jovi up and she stands she puts ALL of her weight on the front of her and her back legs hover over the floor

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Both back legs are not working now? Did they check her hips or anything with X-ray?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How was she all week... fine or did it come and go? Did they do any x-ray? Is there another vet or ER that you can go to ? I know you stated you are broke, but maybe a place that takes Care Credit? As I am also thinking spine or hips

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im thinking hips too, did they xray her hips?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no April, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Jovi, poor baby. I agree with others, she should be re checked with an x-ray to make sure nothing is going on with her hips or spine. Did she maybe jump up or down something too hard or too high? I would take her back, maybe to an ER vet and have then X-ray her, and give her some anti inflammatories. It sounds like hip Displasia, or maybe a disc problem. I hope she is okay. Please keep us posted.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
no they did not do xrays she told us to go to a regular vet as it would be cheaper to do xrays. she did feel her hips and everything and said all she could feel and notice was her right leg being swollen. and yes both back legs are not working... and as for her being this week she was in and out. she would be really bad, but then sometimes she would walk with a limp and would try to play but shes suppose to be on "bed rest" so we didnt play and she would go to sleep after 5 mins of trying to. all shes been really doing is sleeping, she barely eats. I had to make her eat a bowl of food today. and i also have to force her to stand up to go outside and go potty

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
no they did not do xrays she told us to go to a regular vet as it would be cheaper to do xrays. she did feel her hips and everything and said all she could feel and notice was her right leg being swollen. and yes both back legs are not working... and as for her being this week she was in and out. she would be really bad, but then sometimes she would walk with a limp and would try to play but shes suppose to be on "bed rest" so we didnt play and she would go to sleep after 5 mins of trying to. all shes been really doing is sleeping, she barely eats. I had to make her eat a bowl of food today. and i also have to force her to stand up to go outside and go potty

Is your vet open tomorrow? I would have her in for x-ray and eval.... if she is not eating then she is probably in pain.

sending lots of love and prayers to you both

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im so sorry about all of this, I'd seek a second opinion. She should be eating.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
i ran to petsmart and got some asprin that works as a pain reliever and anti imflamitory. we gave her one of her pains meds given by the vet 3 hours ago (she gets 1 tab every 8 hours) would it be okay to give her asprin? or would that be too much. tomorrow I have to work but my boyfriends grandma is going to bring her in to get xrays. I just made her go outside and she was able to stand long enough to pee. She has not actually gone poop though in a few hours, I would say about 5 hours and that was before I made her eat her food. So i am wondering if she has to but it hurts to much to do that.... :[

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i ran to petsmart and got some aspirin that works as a pain reliever and anti inflammatory. we gave her one of her pains meds given by the vet 3 hours ago (she gets 1 tab every 8 hours) would it be okay to give her aspirin? or would that be too much. tomorrow I have to work but my boyfriends grandma is going to bring her in to get xrays. I just made her go outside and she was able to stand long enough to pee. She has not actually gone poop though in a few hours, I would say about 5 hours and that was before I made her eat her food. So i am wondering if she has to but it hurts to much to do that.... :[

should be OK.... she may not have to poo due to not eating. Is she drinking? if not get her ice cubes or use a syringe to give her water. Keep us posted after tomorrow, let us know what the vet says about the x-rays.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yes she has been drinking water a little less than normal but she is drinking it. and i will keep everyone posted. i am so nervous and i feel so bad for her :[. my boyfriend thinks it may be hip displasia?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's no way to say what it could possibly be. They absolutely need to do x-rays.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.