General Question My bulldog stares at the ceiling at times?

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello. I have been here before on this site but found it difficult to contact the administrator to come back. I am wondering.... I have a 2 1/2 year old male bulldog and these past 6 months or so he started looking up at the ceiling like he see's something. It isn't a constant thing but he does it several times daily and I asked my vet about it who in turn said dogs can do funny things. I just wanted to post here and make sure this is not a sign of any future, possible health issue. If anyone knows of anything like this would you please comment. Thank you.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am not sure if this is normal or not, but just before I got on this site this morning, I walked through my living room to find Bogey, my 2 year old EBD sitting up in a chair- staring at the wall!! Lol! Bulldogs DEFINITELY exhibit strange behaviors at times. Most likely nothing to worry about!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION] this sounds like Lola!

Sorry we had to turn off the contact us section due to a technical issue. Which had finally been resolved. Glad you got back online!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
If he cranes his head far back when he does it, it could be stargazers syndrome. Can you post a video? There is not much to do about it unless he does it all the time. stargazing is a mild seizure. That may not be the reason your dog is doing it though.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank you for your replies.I can get him doing it on video. It is really weird I mean it only started about 6 months ago and it is almost as if he see's something but there is nothing there. It scares me because I know bulldogs have health issues ect and of course he is a huge part of my life. Thanks again and I will see if I can get him on video and post it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hope it is just bizarre behavior and nothing serious. Will be looking for video

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks, I was hoping someone would say. "Oh my bulldog does that all the time". I guess I will see if I can capture it on video. It doesn't look like any kind of siezure. He is calm. almost bored looking when he does do it. Sometimes I will stop him by getting his attention and he will look at me and I read up on stargazing syndrome which is a serious issue. I am just hoping it is nothing serious. Buddy is a big part of my life. Thx everyone.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, I was hoping someone would say. "Oh my bulldog does that all the time". I guess I will see if I can capture it on video. It doesn't look like any kind of siezure. He is calm. almost bored looking when he does do it. Sometimes I will stop him by getting his attention and he will look at me and I read up on stargazing syndrome which is a serious issue. I am just hoping it is nothing serious. Buddy is a big part of my life. Thx everyone.

when you get the video... Post to YouTube then attach the link here. Sending good thoughts

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would definitely mention it again to the vet or get another opinion. It could be so many things..... he could be seeing something that isn't there. Maybe a floater in his eyes, maybe a neurological issue. It's concerning to me. My bulldog suffers from idiopathic epilepsy and often does the staring off when he's in pre ictal stage of a seizure.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx Libra. It is concerning. I did write to the owner of a vet ( theres probably 9 vets there) of the place I take Buddy for anything serious to see if he had heard of any potential health problems related to this and he only said Dogs can do some strange things at times. I over the 2 1/2 years since getting Buddy have learned to become very skeptical of vets. Its a long story but one vet when he heard over the phone I had trupanion insurance for Buddy was so excited and when I brought him in for a recheck on a UI came out with a $900.00 bill. Trupanion has paid out of 6k for Buddy. I love him very much and worry about my own well being when I do finally lose him. I take him to the dog park every morning at 615 when it is still dark ( along with about 9 of us) and let him run around and play with his dog friends,. I am still trying to catch him doing it so I can get it on my phone and post it. When Buddy isnt really sick or I need a fecal. preventitives ect I don't even go to my regular vet I take him to a non profit place called paws2help who their office visit is only $7.00 along with all vaccanations $15.00 ( I am responsible for all of these- no Trupaion) but Buddy is my baby and a huge part of my life. Thx. Bulldog in so. Fl

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thx Libra. It is concerning. I did write to the owner of a vet ( theres probably 9 vets there) of the place I take Buddy for anything serious to see if he had heard of any potential health problems related to this and he only said Dogs can do some strange things at times. I over the 2 1/2 years since getting Buddy have learned to become very skeptical of vets. Its a long story but one vet when he heard over the phone I had trupanion insurance for Buddy was so excited and when I brought him in for a recheck on a UI came out with a $900.00 bill. Trupanion has paid out of 6k for Buddy. I love him very much and worry about my own well being when I do finally lose him. I take him to the dog park every morning at 615 when it is still dark ( along with about 9 of us) and let him run around and play with his dog friends,. I am still trying to catch him doing it so I can get it on my phone and post it. When Buddy isnt really sick or I need a fecal. preventitives ect I don't even go to my regular vet I take him to a non profit place called paws2help who their office visit is only $7.00 along with all vaccanations $15.00 ( I am responsible for all of these- no Trupaion) but Buddy is my baby and a huge part of my life. Thx. Bulldog in so. Fl

:hug: we here, at EBN, are all right on the same page with you --- they are our babies and here is a great place to get the info and support!

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
WOW, No his staring isn't as profound as that nor is his head elevated that high looking so steeply upwards. He seems calm as he does it. Do you know since mentioning this here and posting he has not done it that I am aware of or seen but I am sure he will do it again. It started like I said about 6 months ago and he seems focused upward but in one area. Not directly above him but more as an angle up. I swear it is like he see's something. I am keeping my fingers crossed. There is nothing worst than having a sick animal or pet that you love, especially if it is something nuerological and serious and couldn't do anything to help or the vet couldn't. Thanks Bullmama and I am waiting to catch him on video and will post it as soon as I can. Appreciate it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.