Breathing issues

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
My friend's bully (2nd one, polar opposite from the first) hikes mountains and can be free-fed without gaining weight. Occasionally a cardio freak shows up, but as a general rule......

I think it just all depends on diet, how healthy your bully is and where his limitation lies. Because it would be like saying: As a general rule there is no healthy bully. Which is not true. Every dog, regardless of the breed, is different. Bifi is still young, so we don't have any heart issues and knock on wood, that would never be the case. He weighs a good 25 kg (55lbs) and eats 700-800 gm, sometimes a kilo, of meat a day. But he easily burns it because he is pretty active, he has been since he was a pup and i want him to stay that way.

2014-10-10 18.14.20 HDR.jpg This was taken day before yesterday. On that round alone he walked 5-6 km. And as you can see he is neither fat nor thin for his body. This morning we made a 3 km walk on our first round and have to play fetch with him right after so he would take his 30min. nap when we get home. And i also have to say that i am not an athletic person, infact, the only reason i go out of the house is because of him :D.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I was thinking about how much Bifi walks, and realized Blue does about the same when we take him to an off leash area park (not a dog run). Wellie can't right now though. We need to fix his breathing issues first. Hoping after it's done, he'll be able to keep up with Blue.

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Trigger, who we believe is at least part if not all OEB, can run almost forever. He is very active and loves really long walks and has pouty temper tantrums when we won't let him go out on hot days. However Winstons tongue turns blue pretty quickly and can't handle the smallest of journeys. :( I chill in the shade with Winston (with water) while the kids and hubby try to keep up with Trigger when we go out.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] I love that picture!

Hopefully, we will soon be able to get an appointment with an expert to evaluate the situation here. We want to keep taking long walks too...

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I have yet to see a bulldog that doesn't have stenotic nares. Some may be worse than others, but they all seem to have it to some degree.

The best description I've ever read is "pinch your nose and try to breath, that's how it feels to them".

Can you tell just by looking at the nares? Our vet has not suggested this surgery for Buttercup. I mentioned her snoring and she said (paraphrasing here) that surgery for an elongated soft palate is usually recommended for the dogs whose breathing problems sound worse during the day. Not exactly clear about that. She didn't seem to think Buttercup needs it.

Buttercup loves to walk and jog (her choice, NOT mine) and in cool weather we usually do about 1.5 miles. She would walk longer if she could. Near the end she slows down enough to walk on the leash without pulling but typically does not seem overtired. However, she usually keeps her mouth open by the end of the walk but I always figured that's because she was using her tongue to cool down...could it be a sign of breathing problems? No foam or blue coloration.

I don't want to imagine a problem where there isn't one, but would like to learn more. I wonder if the surgery could help her. She usually breathes through her nose but sometimes at night I see her chubby cheeks puffing out as she exhales. Seems to happen less when her allergies are under control. She also snores on the inhalation breath when she sleeps, very loudly if allergies are flared up.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Can you tell just by looking at the nares? Our vet has not suggested this surgery for Buttercup. I mentioned her snoring and she said (paraphrasing here) that surgery for an elongated soft palate is usually recommended for the dogs whose breathing problems sound worse during the day. Not exactly clear about that. She didn't seem to think Buttercup needs it.

Buttercup loves to walk and jog (her choice, NOT mine) and in cool weather we usually do about 1.5 miles. She would walk longer if she could. Near the end she slows down enough to walk on the leash without pulling but typically does not seem overtired. However, she usually keeps her mouth open by the end of the walk but I always figured that's because she was using her tongue to cool down...could it be a sign of breathing problems? No foam or blue coloration.

I don't want to imagine a problem where there isn't one, but would like to learn more. I wonder if the surgery could help her. She usually breathes through her nose but sometimes at night I see her chubby cheeks puffing out as she exhales. Seems to happen less when her allergies are under control. She also snores on the inhalation breath when she sleeps, very loudly if allergies are flared up.

Regarding the nares, yes. All it takes is a visual examination. It just means narrow nares
Not sure what your vet's talking about in regards to the palate though. There's no way to diagnose whether or not a palate is elongated without putting the dog under anesthesia.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Regarding the nares, yes. All it takes is a visual examination. It just means narrow nares
Not sure what your vet's talking about in regards to the palate though. There's no way to diagnose whether or not a palate is elongated without putting the dog under anesthesia.

Agreed....

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup

Wow, now that I see it I can't unsee it. Her nares are so little! I will ask the vet about it next time we take her in to see if this can be assessed during her spay surgery.

Most Reactions