The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breathing issues

I have yet to see a bulldog that doesn't have stenotic nares. Some may be worse than others, but they all seem to have it to some degree.

The best description I've ever read is "pinch your nose and try to breath, that's how it feels to them".

@cefe13 - our vet feels very strongly about neutering all dogs and cats to help control population issues in my area. We have many puppy mills around us, and lots of sick dogs due to it. Winston was a stud at one of the mills, and he should not have been used as a stud. He has a few bad traits I'm sure he has passed on to many pups and unsuspecting new owners. I think the vet wanted to do everything she felt necessary at once since it is so hard on them to go under. However, he is older (almost 7) and still in rough shape. He is doing so much better but I'm not sure I want him going under at all unless it is an emergency situation. He may need to have one eye removed. So, I'm really taking it day by day with him right now. He is having a very hard time fighting one infection and has been on antibiotics for almost 6 weeks now. :/ poor baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1412998020826-jpg  

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@triggerSnores He's really cute - thanks for posting the picture! Thanks for explaining too. I fully understand the problem with puppy mills and uncontrolled breeding, but I think it is sad when vets want to neuter dogs by default. Winston is with you now and as long as he doesn't run around unattended there must be very little risk that he fathers more pups. Hope he gets better soon!

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbandit View Post
    Sounds like a lot of exercise for a bully. The occasional EB thrives on this kind of frolicking, but not many in my circle. My Billy's idea of exercise is sleeping in front of the TV while the game is on. Attachment 78429
    Mine walks about 3-4 km for our first round of walks. We would be out of the house for about 2-3 hours at a time. Nowadays, because the weather is getting colder, Bifi walks 5-6 km in total in one day. But ofcourse never in summer .

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    Mine walks about 3-4 km for our first round of walks. We would be out of the house for about 2-3 hours at a time. Nowadays, because the weather is getting colder, Bifi walks 5-6 km in total in one day. But ofcourse never in summer .
    5-6 km per day??!! that's like 2.5 miles!! If there were a bullie olympics, Bifi would take first place!

Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    My friend's bully (2nd one, polar opposite from the first) hikes mountains and can be free-fed without gaining weight. Occasionally a cardio freak shows up, but as a general rule......

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbandit View Post
    My friend's bully (2nd one, polar opposite from the first) hikes mountains and can be free-fed without gaining weight. Occasionally a cardio freak shows up, but as a general rule......
    I think it just all depends on diet, how healthy your bully is and where his limitation lies. Because it would be like saying: As a general rule there is no healthy bully. Which is not true. Every dog, regardless of the breed, is different. Bifi is still young, so we don't have any heart issues and knock on wood, that would never be the case. He weighs a good 25 kg (55lbs) and eats 700-800 gm, sometimes a kilo, of meat a day. But he easily burns it because he is pretty active, he has been since he was a pup and i want him to stay that way.

-2014-10-10-18-14-20-hdr-jpg This was taken day before yesterday. On that round alone he walked 5-6 km. And as you can see he is neither fat nor thin for his body. This morning we made a 3 km walk on our first round and have to play fetch with him right after so he would take his 30min. nap when we get home. And i also have to say that i am not an athletic person, infact, the only reason i go out of the house is because of him .

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking about how much Bifi walks, and realized Blue does about the same when we take him to an off leash area park (not a dog run). Wellie can't right now though. We need to fix his breathing issues first. Hoping after it's done, he'll be able to keep up with Blue.

Trigger, who we believe is at least part if not all OEB, can run almost forever. He is very active and loves really long walks and has pouty temper tantrums when we won't let him go out on hot days. However Winstons tongue turns blue pretty quickly and can't handle the smallest of journeys. I chill in the shade with Winston (with water) while the kids and hubby try to keep up with Trigger when we go out.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@dieMuttivonBifi I love that picture!

Hopefully, we will soon be able to get an appointment with an expert to evaluate the situation here. We want to keep taking long walks too...

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    I have yet to see a bulldog that doesn't have stenotic nares. Some may be worse than others, but they all seem to have it to some degree.

The best description I've ever read is "pinch your nose and try to breath, that's how it feels to them".
    Can you tell just by looking at the nares? Our vet has not suggested this surgery for Buttercup. I mentioned her snoring and she said (paraphrasing here) that surgery for an elongated soft palate is usually recommended for the dogs whose breathing problems sound worse during the day. Not exactly clear about that. She didn't seem to think Buttercup needs it.

Buttercup loves to walk and jog (her choice, NOT mine) and in cool weather we usually do about 1.5 miles. She would walk longer if she could. Near the end she slows down enough to walk on the leash without pulling but typically does not seem overtired. However, she usually keeps her mouth open by the end of the walk but I always figured that's because she was using her tongue to cool down...could it be a sign of breathing problems? No foam or blue coloration.

I don't want to imagine a problem where there isn't one, but would like to learn more. I wonder if the surgery could help her. She usually breathes through her nose but sometimes at night I see her chubby cheeks puffing out as she exhales. Seems to happen less when her allergies are under control. She also snores on the inhalation breath when she sleeps, very loudly if allergies are flared up.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Can you tell just by looking at the nares? Our vet has not suggested this surgery for Buttercup. I mentioned her snoring and she said (paraphrasing here) that surgery for an elongated soft palate is usually recommended for the dogs whose breathing problems sound worse during the day. Not exactly clear about that. She didn't seem to think Buttercup needs it.

Buttercup loves to walk and jog (her choice, NOT mine) and in cool weather we usually do about 1.5 miles. She would walk longer if she could. Near the end she slows down enough to walk on the leash without pulling but typically does not seem overtired. However, she usually keeps her mouth open by the end of the walk but I always figured that's because she was using her tongue to cool down...could it be a sign of breathing problems? No foam or blue coloration.

I don't want to imagine a problem where there isn't one, but would like to learn more. I wonder if the surgery could help her. She usually breathes through her nose but sometimes at night I see her chubby cheeks puffing out as she exhales. Seems to happen less when her allergies are under control. She also snores on the inhalation breath when she sleeps, very loudly if allergies are flared up.
    Regarding the nares, yes. All it takes is a visual examination. It just means narrow nares
    Not sure what your vet's talking about in regards to the palate though. There's no way to diagnose whether or not a palate is elongated without putting the dog under anesthesia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads