HELP.....

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all, had my baby for a week now. Some ups and downs.
I need some advice:

1. Been to vet last friday eve. All good according to vet.

2. I notice the following in his head:
d11e8595f8d9d49f97bfd44f683903e6.jpg
5c256e49cae142285330e4e6b244dcbd.jpg
b1473d063729ad4b4dd452d7049e7f91.jpg

Its like a dried scalp or dried skin that is hard. Size is varied. Found a few spots at the head.
The vet had prescribed a lotion to put in the area but will need to scratch the area hard.
What do you think that could be?

3. Could the above resulted from allergy? I serve acana whilst the breeder gave royal canine

4. A pet shop owner told me it could be allergic. As acana may not work with the humidity and temperature in my country. He recommend royal canine.

5. My bully's stool is still soft. I have cut down his intake to 1/2 a cup 3 times a day (vs recommended by the packaging of 4 cup per day to be served 3 times a day).

I wonder if any can recommend:
1. What happen to his skin
2. Any recommended medicine
3. Do i need to change food?

Pls help
Thank you a zillion

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Do you mean that you have chanced his food in weeks time? it's alway better to chance very slowly, mixing the the new food with the old food little by little. Acana is much better than RC, but still there can be ome ingredients that don't suit him.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Royal Canin is terrible quality food. Acana is much better. Having said that, the bumps look like typical allergy pustules. Your pup may have seasonal allergies to things like grass and pollen. If he is allergic to the food, it would be the protein or grain.

I do not think Acana uses cheap fillers, so I would find out what the main protein and switch to an Acana brand with the main ingredient as chicken (since Royal Canin bulldog formula is chicken based). Acana "Wild Prarie" is a no carb, chicken based formula that should work.

For now, while you do the food trials, ask the vet for some antihistamine tablets or ask him what dosage of human antihistamine you can give your pup.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]
I have changed his food in a week as the breeder didnt give me any old stock. And i cant find the RC type that he was given as it is not available in my country.
[MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION]
I gave my boy acana pacifica. Another pronlem for me as thats the only acana product available in my country

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe try giving him bland diet for a few days until his poo firms up. Then slowly introduce the Acana again. This sounds like he's having a hard time adjusting to the food, between the new home stress and the food switch it's caused havoc to his little tummy.

Shame on your breeder for not providing you with some food to do the transition with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maybe try giving him bland diet for a few days until his poo firms up. Then slowly introduce the Acana again. This sounds like he's having a hard time adjusting to the food, between the new home stress and the food switch it's caused havoc to his little tummy.

Shame on your breeder for not providing you with some food to do the transition with.

Totally agree.... ^^^^^^

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], what do you mean by bland diet?

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION],
Question: you refer to hamburger or chicken breast for bland diet. May i ask what do you mean by hamburger? Is it ok if i boiled a minced beef (is it the same)?
If i were to use the chicken breast, do i need to cut it into pieces? Smaller pieces maybe to enable him eating it easier?
Thank you again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@bullmama,
Question: you refer to hamburger or chicken breast for bland diet. May i ask what do you mean by hamburger? Is it ok if i boiled a minced beef (is it the same)?
If i were to use the chicken breast, do i need to cut it into pieces? Smaller pieces maybe to enable him eating it easier?
Thank you again

Hambrrger is ground beef... if minced meat is plain beef with no seasonings or anything added, that is it. And, yes if you use chicken cut it into small pieces

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Thank you so much. Sky was eating like lightning speed. I have never saw him eating without lifting his head. I gave him chicken breast (35gram) + 3/4cup rice. He even continuously licking the bowl. He is definitely loving it.

I will try this few days.

Once poo is normal (btw he is 3 mths old yesterday - is that also possibility that his poo is soft?), i will try giving him acana again. Should i go straight to acana or do i need to mix acana with the bland diet?

Thank you both

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Thank you so much. Sky was eating like lightning speed. I have never saw him eating without lifting his head. I gave him chicken breast (35gram) + 3/4cup rice. He even continuously licking the bowl. He is definitely loving it.

I will try this few days.

Once poo is normal (btw he is 3 mths old yesterday - is that also possibility that his poo is soft?), i will try giving him acana again. Should i go straight to acana or do i need to mix acana with the bland diet?

Thank you both

Mix it slowly into the bland diet for a few days, slowly increasing the amount if kibble to see how his poop reacts. This way you can determine if it's the kibble that may be causing the soft poo.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], thank you so much. Will try it out and send some pics for you all......

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online