HELP ! Maximus won't take his Pills . . . .

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Right now, Maximus is on Antibiotics for a skin infection. Two strengths. I have found it impossible to get this pills in him. I've tried everything !
Pill Pockets, Cheese, Turkey breast and nothing works! The VET says these can not be crushed. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can get the Medication into my Dog ??????
Thanks.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Wow,,, I hope someone has a good idea for you, Vegas is a hog, so when he was sick and had to take his pills this is what I did. I would give him a plain piece of cheese first to get him going and his mouth watering, and the second piece would have the pill wrapped inside of it. He does not even bother to chew most of the time so he never spit a pill out.

What about cutting up a hot-dog into small bites and hiding it in there?

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Maybe peanut butter? I usually do a spoonful for a pill and as Cutty licks it the pill goes right in his mouth. But then again my boy is not a picky eater either. You would think the cheese would work if you mashed it all around the pill so he has to eat it all?

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I just hold Silvas mouth open and put the pill down as far as I can and then close her mouth and massage her throat. Then give her a treat. She was on antibiotics back in Sept twice a day for 10 days, so I got really good at it! Maybe have someone help you. I tried putting it in other food too but she always would eat the food and spit the pill back out! Hope that helps!

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
We had such a hard time with this with Bruno. When he was just a lil guy, we tried everything, just like you said. He was such a stinker...he would act like he swallowed it, then later on we would find it somewhere on the rug underneath our dining room table. Then someone told us to try peanut butter...best advice ever! Bruno absolutely LOVES peanut butter...we call it his special treat. Now he takes pills no problem!

Bunker, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with peanut butter. So for him, we have to do it the old fashioned way of sticking it down the back of his throat, closing his mouth and rubbing his neck. We try to do this right before he eats a meal because he knows he gets to eat once he takes his pill.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I agree with all the suggestions...Beefy hates meds but is on them often. I will stick peanut butter and his pill to his roof or put the pill at the back of his throat hold his mouth shut and massage his throught. Thats the best i got lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
All suggestions are ones I would suggest so I am not much help :whistle:

But just make sure that your bully does not have an allergy to peanut butter. Try it once and wait a few days before trying it again. The alternative to peanut butter is cream cheese if your bully cannot handle the peanut butter.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE:::: Boy oh Boy, this guy is a real Buster today ! I went out and bought a Pill Dispenser and a Pill crusher. I tried the Pill Dispenser, and even with that, he managed to bring that pill back up and spit it out ! I have never been so frustrated in my life ! I finally had had enough and opened his mouth, put the Pill in the back of his throat, closed his mouth and rubbed his throat, and VOILA ! That was that !
OMG, what a nightmare ! BTW, I also have a Female PUG who is also on two meds, and she is even worse to try and get pills down !

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Glad you have already found a solution to the problem ... I would have said about the same as everybody else but we are lucky in that none of our dogs are picky eaters. It usually works with peanut butter, cheese slice folded around the pill, and also slice ham folded up around the pill. One of those three ALWAYS works!

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
When I give Ireland her wormer pill she would spit it out too. So the other day when I gave it to her I just put it in her food bowl with her morning food and stood there and watch and down it went.. im glad you got the pills down... Try apple sauce or the hot dogs next time...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
The Vet should have offered another med, not just told you it couldn't be crushed .

Mary Kay

Sep 29, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloie
Hi Maximus,

This is Chloie here and I'm just like you. I spit my pills out and mummas gets mad. She now gives it to me in wet dog food. Try that. Chloie

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Glad you got the pills down! Belly is such a hog she just eats the pills and thinks they are treats... :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.