Help Needed! Something wrong with my dog's eye.

Dekkoid

Oct 3, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Abby.
Yesterday I noticed that my bulldog kept closing her eye. I looked at it yesterday and the pink part is puffy (not large though) and the eye itself is a bit red. It's the exact same today. Would buying some sort of eye flush work or is this a much bigger problem?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12927]Dekkoid[/MENTION] :welcome3: Sounds like possible Cherry Eye-but a photo will be best for a look, so someone can determine possibilities.

OP
Dekkoid

Dekkoid

Oct 3, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Abby.
I'll try to get a picture of it if I can get her to stay still long enough.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with others, it sounds like cherry eye. I can't tell without a picture, but my female Blossom had cherry eye when she was 5 months old. I'll send you some pictures of what cherry eye looks like, and you can compare and see if this is what your bully's eye looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 105

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If she is closing her eye, it means she's in pain when she opens it. She may have scratched it causing all the redness and swelling of her third eyelid. She will need a vet as soon as possible to have it examined.

OP
Dekkoid

Dekkoid

Oct 3, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Abby.
I tried to get a picture but she refuses to stay still. I'm almost positive it is not cherry eye unless somehow this is just what cherry eye looks like before it gets to that point?
I think bullmama might be right though. She and her sister play rough and paw at each other all the time so maybe she scratched her eye. Also, the same eye was kinda crusty in the morning for a few days before this happened. She's always had lots of eye boogers in the mornings.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She could also have a scratched cornea.... My French bulldog just went through this . A vet visit is needed, I would not delay a vet appt with what you are describing. Eyes can go down hill real fast.

:welcome:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Christine, she could have a scratch or an ulcer on her eye, which would require a vet to diagnose, he can put some eye drops with dye in her eye and see if she has a scratch. Scratches of the eye require antibiotic medication, and eye drops or eye cream. She could also have Entropian of her eye, which is when the eyelashes grow in towards the eye and cause irritation and scratching of the eye. You also mentioned that she had eye boogers and her eye was crusty, which could be a sign of an infection. I would take her to the vet and have her eyes looked at. I hope it isn't anything serious and she feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.