Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Has anyone dealt with dementia in their senior bully? Mickey is in the early stages. Need some advice and information. Thanks.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't, but I have dealt with more stubborn behavior. What are the symptoms and how was he diagnosed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
He sleeps heavy during the day, up all night, sometimes stands in one place like he is not sure where he is. At night he lays down, stands up, lays down, stands up, then jumps off the bed and wanders around the room and finally comes to be the bedside and barks to be put back in bed, then goes through the whole routine again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry, I have no experience with this ..... hope we have a member with some info to help you

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He sleeps heavy during the day, up all night, sometimes stands in one place like he is not sure where he is. At night he lays down, stands up, lays down, stands up, then jumps off the bed and wanders around the room and finally comes to be the bedside and barks to be put back in bed, then goes through the whole routine again.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry… I have a boxer who is 9, and the only thing that I have noticed is she's getting slower. She also acts like she can't hear me at times, but I don't think that is an age thing… Lol

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Our Beagle, Archie started showing signs of this type of behavior when he was 10 yrs old. He was a rescue and had a hard earlier life, we had him for 6 yrs. He also started having seizures, and would walk with a lean. We worked with our vet for over a year. Some times he would act like he didn't know who we were and would growl or flinch. They were only very brief moments in the beginning. (It wasn't the dementia that took our Archie, it was cancer. ) Our vet was great with him, and us. The meds helped some, we just had to work really hard to remember he might forget us, or where the doors were, or he just ate, how to walk down the stairs , where to go potty, etc. Please keep me posted and if you have any questions just ask. 💝

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Trigger - some of what you experienced I am experiencing also. Mickey was a stray before he was rescued - we do not know for how long - I have had him for a year now. He walks with a lean, but I believe that is because of his arthritis and I also believe he was hit and it healed that way. I am going to try some doggie melatonin or stress relief pills to see if it helps him sleep better. I love him so much and I hope I have a lot more time with him knowing me. He is around 10 or 11 - they are not sure how old he is, but he is old. They did an X-ray and his spine and hips have arthritis. Most of the time he is slow going, but he gets up and down a 2 step stair okay and up and down my backyard hill. I will keep you guys posted on his progress. Thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Annie1991 People with Alz/dementia are sometimes called sundowners, because they "rev." up at night. Trying the Melatonin first is a good idea. If Mickey doesn't improve with that-maybe your vet can give you a light sedative to see if it will settle him at night.Best of luck with your boy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online