teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all,

Got my baby last sunday evening aged 12 weeks old. And has been playing with him since then. I have put my baby in a room with controlled airconditioned (too humid and hot where i live). Inside the room i have placed a crate for him to stay. I notice few items and would like to seek your input:

1. He is still scared. Trying to sit in corner of the room or in the crate. Is this normal? How do i comfort him?

2. I bath him this morning, and when i reached to his ear to drop ear cleaner, he growl and upset. Is this an indication of ear infection? I am just worried as he was scratching his ear last night.

3. I notice that his poo is still soft. I have been reducing the amount of food (give him 3x a day meal). Now trying to give him 60% of a cup - three times a day of acana pacifica.

4. This morning, i took him out of crate. Gave him food (acana + yogurt). Then he pee-ed and poo. I have the shower him, groom him. However, when i took him inside the house (post grooming) he pooed again inside. Is this normal? Why is he releasing so easily and close by?

5. Tried to give him few treats but he is not into it. Any recommended treats for baby fur?

Thanks all

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
1. Make sure he gets plenty of playtime with you and he has many toys. Also, I wouldn't put him in a room alone. I would put him in a room with a baby gate so he can still see you.

2. Why are you bathing him so soon after getting him? As far as his ears go, have you gone to a vet yet? We saw a vet 2 or 3 days after getting Blue. You want a vet to look over your pup to make sure
everything is fine. Have them check his ears too. He may have an infection, or he may not. Impossible to say.

3. His poo is going to be soft for a little while. You just got him, he's nervous and scared. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] can recommend how much to feed a 12 week old pup. I can't remember how much we fed Blue. But give him a chance to adjust to your home and new food.

4. Yes, it's perfectly normal. 12 week old puppies can't hold it. The general rule if I remember correctly is to take him out about 15 minutes after eating or playing. You gave him a shower, and groomed him. That's a lot of activity for a puppy, not surprised he went again. What kind of potty routine are you trying to establish? Are you taking him outside after each meal and playtime? Or are you training him on pads?

5. I wouldn't give him any treats right now. He needs to get used to his food, new home, and new people. You can use his kibble as a treat. Otherwise, you can give small ice cubes.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION]
Thank you so much for quick reply.

1. Will work on the area. What sort of toys do you give for pups? I have plastic teether, and a doll. Will give him ball and kong?

2. His vet schedule is for Friday. My bad, didnt book in advance and thus the vet is fully book til then. Showered him as he deliberately roll over his own pee yesterday.

4. I have a pads in room but also taking him outside for pee and poo. Inside is only for his accidental. He has been good for peeing inside.

5. Thank you. Was hoping a treat can help him calm down when i tried to fix his ear or cut his nail.

Rgrds

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like he is still stressed from his change of environment. He also may have something going on with his ears causing him discomfort. If he was raised solely with his littermates and did not have much social interaction with humans it may take a little while for him to settle in and develop trust.

Many breeders do not spend time doing any training or social interaction with young pups (sadly!) but I've learned doing so is such a great foundation for them to build on. But most pups only truly know their littermates. So put yourself in his mind and think "I've just been taken away from my family and that is the only world I know. I spent my days playing with my littermates. Now they are gone, and I'm in a new, very strange place."

Time and plenty of love and patience will help him. With our young pups we spent time holding them at any opportunity. While holding them, we do light paw massages and touch their noses, ears, and face in a loving manner. It is important to spend time touching these areas without cleaning them, so they can build trust with you.

As for the soft poo, keep him cut back until it hardens. You may also cut it back a little more until his tummy is settled. Have his stool checked at your appointment this week to make sure he is parasite free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ellie and Lisa have you covered.... give baby some time to settle in. Congrats!

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]
Thank you for the advice. Will bring the stool along. [emoji1][emoji1]

Most Reactions