Anal Glands/Tail Pocket/Ear Itching

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
My Otis has been acting kind of different lately. He is licking air all the time. I have read up on this and I really believe he is itching or something is bothering him. Sometimes he will bark and whip around like he needs to scratch something back there that he can't reach. I will scratch his backside and he acts like it is the best thing in the world. Of course he is licking air the entire time.

Can someone tell me how I would know if his anal glands need to be expressed. Everything looks fine back there to me. I clean his tail pocket and he seems to really enjoy me doing that. His pocket is not deep and doesn't smell just accumulates lots of hair.

Also, Otis has had several ear infections. His last one being in April. He accumulates yeast in his ears that I clean daily. Yesterday he started shacking his head like his ear may be hurting. It is not running and really yucky looking like before with his infections.

So, is he licking because his anal glands need expressing, his tail pocket is bothering him or possibly his ears. I just want my baby to be helped if he is uncomfortable. I hate that he can't tell me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Usually licking the air is either his anal glands or tail pocket. When they need their anal glands expressed they will scoot their bottom across the floor. I would start with the tail pocket. Look in his ears and also smell them for a fowl smell to see it they are infected. you might have to get an ear wash and try that to help clean them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with David, sounds like it's either an itch, which is most likely in his tail pocket or his anal glands . If you go to get the anal gland expressed and that's not what it is, it could be his lower back is itchy, since he seems to respond to you giving him a scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Usually licking the air is either his anal glands or tail pocket. When they need their anal glands expressed they will scoot their bottom across the floor. I would start with the tail pocket. Look in his ears and also smell them for a fowl smell to see it they are infected. you might have to get an ear wash and try that to help clean them.

@denna1489 ^^^^ agreed! Baks does this when her glands or tail pockets need cleaning

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.