Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
:sos:

Whenever I get home from work, my puppy is dying with excitement to greet me. This is the main reason I have changed my life dynamic from being workaholic, working in the office late to leaving at 5-5:30 at the latest so I can be with him.
but tonight, Harvey was not his usual self. He was slow and was moving gingerly. I noticed that he is lifting his right leg and limping towards me. I often lead him to the yard to accompany him and let him play with his toys. He did not follow me and was just standing there. I tried to carry him but yelped in pain.

My wife indicated that he was playing with the neighbors's dogs earlier in the afternoon and he was actively playing and chasing each other. He also likes climbing the low brick walls between our properties and likes to jump to the neighbor's side of the property. It is not high but he could get hurt if he lands awkwardly. Not sure if he sprained himself.

I am observing him and will visit the vet if he does not improved. Anything I can give him for pain in the meantime?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it definitely sounds like he has sprained or hurt his leg, probably from playing too rough or from jumping down from the wall. He could have landed wrong. I would take him to the vet, where he can feel his leg, and take an X-ray if necessary to make sure he didn't break something, the paws and the ankle bones have so many little bones. Even if he sprained it, he could be in pain, bullies have a high pain threshold and often don't show it, but being lethargic, limping, or favoring his leg, and yelping when you touch it are all signs that he is experiencing pain. The vet will be able to determine the injury, and also prescribe him a pain medication and an anti inflammatory if he has sprained it. When I first brought my male Bulldozer home, I had him out in my front yard, and all the neighbours came running over to see the new puppies, after they left, I picked Dozer up to take him back in the house, I had him in my arms, and I bent down to get Blossom, Dozer got all excited to see his sister, and he squirmed and jumped out of my arms onto the grass. Thank goodness I was bent over the grass, so he didn't fall too far, but He landed wrong on his front paw, and he yelped so loud, that my neighbour down the complex came running. We were both crying, I felt so bad for him falling. After he stopped yelping, he wouldn't walk on that front leg, and he kept it up in the air and favoured it. If I touched it, he yelped, the sound was so awful, he cried so loud, it broke my heart. I called the emergency vet, because it was in the evening and Sunday, so my vet was closed. They told me we could wait until the morning and take him to our own vet. I put him on my cat bed because it was soft and had him sleep beside me on my bed. When he had to go out to potty, I carried him outside, and every time I moved him, he would cry. I went to the vet first thing in the morning, my vet took him in right away and she checked his leg and paw, she said she didn't think he had broken anything, and that she couldn't feel anything out of place, but wanted to X-ray his leg, she did an X-ray of both the front legs, so she could compare the two. Nothing was broken or out of place, so she said he had sprained his foot. It wasn't the leg, but the paw part. She gave him a shot of inflammatory medication, and some pain pills. She told me to keep him quiet, and not let him jump. He favoured that paw for 4 days, before he started walking on it again, and then he was fine. I would let your vet look at his leg, just to rule out if its broken or not, and to get him some pain medications so he can be comfortable. I hope he feels better soon, and that it's nothing serious.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I hope Harvey has a speedy recovery and there is nothing seriously wrong. Please let us know what the vet says. My Jewel had a similar issue. Rest, limited activity, and coupled with anti-inflmmatory meds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hopefully, it is just a sprain .... Keep us posted on your little guy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds like a sprain like Christine stated… I hope that Harvey feels better, please keep us posted!!!

OP
harveyspecter

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
After receiving prescription for pain and anti inflammatory nsaid's, Harvey is back to his normal self again. Thanks for all the feedback and concerns.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy he is doing better, and back to his playful self.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jumar, I'm so glad that Harvey is feeling better, and back to himself. I'm sure you're relieved too that he's all healed.
These guys always seem to give us something to worry about.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad he's feeling better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk