Constant itching

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello my bulldog really sense we adopted him in June has had a butt itching issue he would sit and spin and spin in circles and he does this like 10 times a day and can't figure out why. He did have a pollup in his butt when we got him and I though that was the reason then. He does not have fleas I have yet to see one on him. He does not have ticks. His anal glands were expressed first time sense we had him Monday and seems to continue which left it at tail pocket. I do clean it about twice a week and it is so dirty when I do. So past few days I been cleaning it daily and it isn't as bad but still is dirty. He does the spinning thing outside when I take him for a walk so that could be where it is.coming from. I did look in there and his tail is slightly a reddish color which maybe comes from the dirt? I have no clue I clean it with baby wipes and dry with paper towel. Could it be allergies? Anyone have any suggestions?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
[MENTION=12134]xBandit[/MENTION]
I have no experience with a tail pocket or having to express anal glands. Henry doesn't gave an issue with either. He does have a sensitivity to baby wipes so I cannot use them on his face or belly. I very rarely use them to wipe his bum after a messy poo. I'm sure someone can give you some better advice. Also, I did have a dog some years ago that had to have surgery on his butt for some kind of growth, I can't remember exactly what it was, and it took him a very long time to heal. You could tell it was itchy and irritated for a very long time. I cleaned it 2 times a day for weeks even though I could tell the irritation wasn't on the outside. He eventually calmed down and stopped trying to rub his butt an everything. Good luck. I hope your baby feels better soon.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@ddnene provided you a link above with great information.

I know what you are going through as my Bentley Boy has a tail pocket and he displays the same behavior from time to time despite the daily ritual of cleaning. I use Malacetic Otic Ultra to clean the tail pocket until the kleenex/guaze/wipe comes out clean (usually by the 2 day). I then maintain the tail pocket daily with witch hazel. If he is really bad itchy, I would suggest some benadryl to ease the itch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@ddnene provided you a link above with great information.

I know what you are going through as my Bentley Boy has a tail pocket and he displays the same behavior from time to time despite the daily ritual of cleaning. I use Malacetic Otic Ultra to clean the tail pocket until the kleenex/guaze/wipe comes out clean (usually by the 2 day). I then maintain the tail pocket daily with witch hazel. If he is really bad itchy, I would suggest some benadryl to ease the itch.

This is exactly what I do with Banks... and exactly how she is.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.