E Collars Stink :(

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Poor Archie was neutered yesterday & also had his right eyelid tacked & he has to wear an e collar for 3-5 days. Today is the first full day & man does it stink! We had to deal with it last night, too & between that & the delirium from coming out of anesthesia, we all got very little sleep. The biggest problem is that he can't seem to let himself rest while wearing it. I've tried taking it off & keeping an eye on him, but he keeps trying to lick the incision from his neuter & then his right eye gets rubbed against his leg in the process. What a mess! I went to Petco today to get a soft collar, but they only had large & it's too big. I know, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. We can take the collar off on Saturday & I know plenty of pups have had to endure it for a lot longer, but it's just so sad & I feel so helpless. :(

thanks for for letting me vent!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Martha had entropion surgery on both eyes and spayed at the same time. She had to wear the cone for two weeks! I had bruises on the backs of my calf from her following too close-and she got hot spots around her neck from the plastic. I bought a soft one-but it was worse than the plastic. If I ever need another-I would get the kind that looks like a tube.By the time she got it off-she had figured out how to eat and drink with it on!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
If he rubs his face on things-you'd better leave the cone on him. With the "donut" he could rub his face on something. [MENTION=11875]amdeemer[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was concerned that he would still be able to reach his eye. He also sometimes rubs his face on things. Do you think it would work?

He could rub his eyes on things, but I know that Winston could sleep in that thing. Maybe you could just let him use it to sleep if you are able to keep an eye on him...

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thanks for the feedback. I guess we will just tough it out. We can make it until Saturday & thankfully he is resting very well right now & seems pretty content. He was pretty wild earlier this evening. Definitely feeling like himself, that's for sure! It's definitely tough to keep a 6 month old puppy "calm" & "quiet!" He doesn't seem bothered at all by the surgery for neutering & for tacking his eye so I'm grateful for that. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor baby... and Momma! good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby. I thankfully didn't need to use the cone on either one of my guys, blossom was spayed and had cherry eye surgery at the same time, and then a week later we had Bulldozer neutered. They never touched their incisions, and the vet didn't recommend us using one or give us one when we took them home. I was going to suggest the soft cone to you, but you mentioned that you went to Petsmart and the one they had was too big. You can have them call another store location and see if they have a smaller size. I hope he heals quick and has a speedy recovery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.