Horrible Diagnosis for Gus

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
My 7 year old English Bulldog has been diagnosed with lymphoma. It has taken 6 weeks of hell
and heartbreak to finally confirm the diagnosis. When a look back his symptoms were all so subtle
yet he showed all the signs. Over the past year little things like having the stamina that he had the previous for a walk. Panting more than usual along with heavier breathing.It's so hard to know with this breed what's acceptable. Also, drinking more water and gagging a lot. I attributed it to older age. The final straw was the chronic diarrhea off and on since the beginning of the summer. He had the coccidia parasite test positive which is extremely rare in an older dog,which
indicated a compromised immune system.

The single symptom I'd like everyone to note is that all of a sudden his eyes turned almost blood red and he never had eye infections. My vet kept ignoring me and my gut feeling. Nothing would have changed the outcome but I wanted to share the signs. I never knew this breed was at such
a high risk for this disease

I'm relieved that I finally know what's wrong with him but my heart is breaking.

Dolly

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so so sorry, I never knew that about the eyes. He is one lucky guy to have a great mom like you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dolly -- I am so sorry.

Sending many, many hugs and prayers to you and Gus. All we discussed, I never would have thought this would be the diagnosis. My heart hurts for you .... love him and spoil him as much as you can every minute of the day.

:hug:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Dolly, I am so sorry for you, your family, and most of all Gus. I will keep you in thought and prayers in this critical time of need.

Roger

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for you and Gus. These babies fill our hearts and then they do brake them.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm so very sorry about sweet Gus Gus. Thank you so very much for sharing with us. As always....we learn from experience and we learn for other's experiences. Thank you so much for alerting us to the signs.

It's something I've always been concerned about with all my animals.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers for you and Gus. Losing them is so hard on us-but never having had them would be more of a loss-they give us so much. God Bless you both.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so heartbroken to hear about Gus… we are here for you. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
And my heart is breaking for you, Dolly...and mad at the Vet for ignoring
momma's instincts. Prayers for y'all & love sent <3

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so very sorry to hear this, sending our thoughts and prayers to you and Gus, cherish each moment :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online