Dark red tongue

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi There,

Wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Sumo's tongue has been darker red, almost purple for the past month or so. She is acting completing normal, eating, drinking etc. It is just the tip of her tongue, and it is usually most evident when she sleeps with her tongue out and it gets dry.

Would love some suggestions of what you think this could be caused from.

I've attached a few photos.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg
- Lindsay and Sumo

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

I have NO idea about your babies tongue… I'm going to tag some members that may have some insight on this...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I could totally be wrong, but I think it is from always being out, Nitshcke's did this too. He ALWAYS had his tongue out, it was very rare that it was in his mouth, maybe only when eating or drinking and I noticed when it dried from lack of saliva it would turn dark red.

if it was blue and he was short of breath or breathing was labored, I would get to the vet. With your next vet visit, i would bring it up to your vet just to ensure everything is still OK

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Not sure. Harlea's will turn a darker shade of red when she leaves it out for an extended period of time bjt other than that i am not sure what would cause it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with Christine and Todd, it is caused by the tongue sticking out and being dried out by the air. My male Dozer gets this all the time as well, as he can't close his mouth due to a genetic defect to his jaw, his lower jaw is much longer than it should be, and so his upper and lower jaw don't meet, and he can't close his mouth, which causes his tongue to always be out, even when he sleeps. His mouth is always dry, and the air irritates the tissues. I just make sure he has access to water at all times.

Tongue is always out, even when he's sleeping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 466
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 517
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 488
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 519
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 468
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 550
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 490

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I found an full article on tongues and health at http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/08/26/dog-tongue.aspx
It says

• A deep red tongue may indicate hyperactivity of one of the organ systems of the body and may involve a bacterial or viral infection, fever, gall bladder or kidney stagnation, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, cancer, or an accumulation of toxins somewhere in the body.

I would assume if the pup is hot and his skin and ears get red his tongue would too, but maybe it's worth a trip to the vet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online