New Bullie throwing up and lethargic

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So Wellie came to us on Saturday morning. Everything was fine. He was eating, playing pooping and sleeping.

Then yesterday, about 30 minutes after a dinner of Fromm Salmon Tunalini, we took both Blue and Wellie downstairs. Wellie didn't want to leave the apartment, when we got outside, he threw up a little.
We get in the car, and about half hour later he threw up again. We get home, park the car, start walking home, and there's a huge soft poo. Then threw up one last time.

We get upstairs, he drinks some water and goes right into Blue's crate and that's where he's been since.

His breathing sounded strange to me, forced almost, but his breathing wasn't that great on Saturday either so I'm not sure if there's a change. He has an appointment in a few hours with our vet, and then tomorrow, we're going to the Animal Medical Center to meet with the same vet who did Blue's palate surgery. We're going to do Wellie's too.

But right now, I'm stumped. I have no idea what's going on. I thought at first it was the food, but it's totally out of his system and he's no better this morning.
Could be stress, but this is a very odd reaction.

Any ideas?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh…
Is he eating the same food that Steve had for him? I agree w/you the food should be out of his system by now. I would say that it sounds like his nerves… how did Saturday go or did I miss a thread?!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Saturday was fine. Blue kept trying to hump him and Wellie kept trying to get away lol..

Then yesterday morning was very busy. We took them to an off leash grassy park (it's heaven for dogs- huge flat meadow). Then to a Pet store where we spent at least an hour getting everything we needed.
By the time we got home, both passed out. Didn't get up again until around dinner time. Wellie was fine. It all started about 30 minutes after he ate, that's why I thought it was the food.

We didn't get ANY food. His original owner didn't give Steve any either. So Steve put him on whatever he was feeding his other dogs. After Wellie threw up, I sms'd Steve to give me the name of the food he fed him, but he hasn't responded yet which is very odd.

The other thing- I don't think Wellie has even been on dry kibble. He eats and drinks very slow. He also didn't want to eat. So we topped it with a little wet food. The Canidae Pure line (grain free) Sea which is very similar to Fromm Salmon Tunalini. He ate it like a champ after that! Then got sick..

And nope, I haven't done a thread on Wellie yet.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well maybe all these food changes is starting to catch up w/him… I would put him on a bland diet for a few days and then gradually start him on something. What do you feed Blue? I'm assuming that you want them to eat the same thing… If you do feed him kibble I would add some warm water to it so it's easier for him to eat it.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue's on an Rx food so they can't eat the same thing.
I'm thinking hamburger and rice as well. I just need to get him used to kibble.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue's on an Rx food so they can't eat the same thing.
I'm thinking hamburger and rice as well. I just need to get him used to kibble.

I would add some warm water to it… I still do that for Wally because he gobbles his food up so darn fast. Are you going to put him on Fromm's? I've got Wally on Fromm's Beef, and he's doing ok except for tear staining. I guess I will have to try different varieties on him till we find the right one. Ugh… :facepalm2: Hamburger and rice sounds perfect… I want to see some pics of Wellie and Blue together!!!

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
My guess is it's a combination of food and nerves and any lethargy is from throwing up.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sounds like an awful lot of activity for a new little bullie. Agree with [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12285]boxorox[/MENTION]. I hope Wellie is feeling better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is stressed... too much activity and change going on. Go with the baln diet as you and Tracey discussed and limit the trips/activity till he is settled down. Try to just potty breaks for a couple days

hope he is feeling better real quick

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh yeah, no doubt in my mind it's the food changes. Especially since he didn't transition the first time w/ Steve either. Bland diet in small portions and then slowly transition to the new kibble. Also listen to his tummy, if it's gurgling, fast him a little bit before giving any food.

Poor boy, hope he feels better by tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
First thing I thought about was Wellie is perhaps experiencing stress with all the changes in his life. Combine that with the food changes and I would expect some GI issues like he's been experiencing. I would go with the bland diet idea too and then do a slow transition to the regular food you want to feed him. Let us know how his vet appt. goes today. He sure is a sweetheart!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with everyone about the stress and the food change. Hopefully the vet will get him fixed up.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So we're back.

It's pretty much what you guys said. Stress, new food.

She did take a chest and stomach x-ray to rule out aspiration and obstruction. Both were fine.

He also got an anti-nausea shot, and metronidazole (used for bowel irritation). She said the x-ray showed he was gassy.

Other than that, bland diet. I'm boiling hamburger and rice now.

She did say that if he still throws up even after the shot, to take him in for a sonogram. Said that with an obstruction, the shot won't help.

Oh, he has Patella Luxation in both knees.
Tomorrow is his appointment with the surgeon who did Blue's palate surgery, and will be doing his neuter and nares on 10/15.
I wanted to schedule Wellie the same day (neuter, palate and nares.)
Now I need to speak to her about his knees too.. oy

So Chris and I were talking. For a pup we've only had 2 short days, our medical bills are going to be around 10k. Just today's appointment with our normal vet was over 600.
I was heartbroken and asked Chris what we should do? My wonderful husband goes "we do what we have to do, he's ours". I love him my hubs so much!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Little Wellie has a lot on his plate but he's also such a lucky boy to have parents who are making sure he gets the best care possible :)
Hopefully, the bland diet, and the meds will help his tummy troubles.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm glad to hear that it is only stress. I'm sorry to hear that you have such a big expense to get him healthy. Wellie is young and will give you guys many many years of happiness. I'm glad he found your home where he will get the love and medical attention he needs. Your husband sounds like one in a million. I would keep him around!!!!! Did the vet think it was a great idea to take him in for another appt. if he is already stressed out?? Brutus gets stressed like this as well and it usually takes a couple of days for him to settle down. I keep reglan(for nausea) and fomotadine(for gastric issues) on hand all the time. My vet gives my prescriptions and I give it as necessary when he gets himself worked up. It is usually if we go on vacation or something that completely upsets his routine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.