What is this ? With pic

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
d hi as some may know I've had my bully for around a month. I've noticed she has a perfect circle of I think what is hair loss ? It's not sore I haven't seen her scratching it though she has been scratching a bit more but she is shedding a little more that usual ATM I think cos the weathers changing. She has been on the same food she came with still and having no problems with it. She is nearly 5 months old, anyone know ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 178

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is the area dry or just the loss of hair?

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
hi
her coat is in perfect condition it's silky soft and this is the only area, it's as though the hair is thinning in just that very neat circle, it's not red or sore as u can see I just don't know what it is

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So bizarre .... I'll tag Lisa see if she has any idea

- - - Updated - - -

So bizarre .... I'll tag Lisa see if she has any idea

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor actually has something that looks a bit similar on his chest/shoulders (two spots, one on each side). Not irritated, not red, just a bit bald. We think it might come from his harness rubbing against his skin, but switchng to another harness hasn't really helped, so I don't know. Can it be something like that?

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
No she doesn't wear a harness she has a collar, she doesn't pull on leash just walks at the side with a slack leash so never needed to. So nope it can't be that, thanks anyway x

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I was going to say-keep an eye on it. If it spreads--or if she gets other patches, I was thinking Ringworm. David read my mind-how'd he do that?

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Well after your advise I just googled ring worm and seen some pics and it looks like it could be that, I'm pleased it's not actual worm related but a fungus ! I will get her in with the vet and let them have a look, she came from a place that she shared beds with other dogs and it was some what a kennel and she is a pup and they r the main causes so most likely that. Thanks guys x

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Looks like ringworm or demodex. If it is demodex, the area will start to het bigger and turn red and scaly. You may also start seeing other bald spots in other areas. If it is ringworm, it is easy to cure. Just get some athletes foot or jock itch cream and use as directed for 4 weeks. Its the same fungus. Hair takes 6 weeks to grow back.
The only way to diagnose demodex is with a skin scrape at the vet. He can also immediately tell you if it is ringworm.
For those people who have bald spots on shoulders at vaccine injection sites, those are usually caused by a reaction to a vaccine injection(usually rabies). The hair never grows back if that is the case

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Ringworm will often( not always!) glow under a blacklight. Scorpions and cat urine do also.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas had demodex when he was 6 months old. The area was just a small area with a loss of hair. Not scaley or red.

The second time he started losing hair in patches it wasn't ring worm OR demodex. It was some sort of fungus....that cleared up with antibiotics.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Certainly something going on, it does look like ringworm but looks can be deceiving. I would try the anti fungal cream on it and if it does not improve or starts to get worse/spread then make a vet trip asap. The more it spreads the longer it will take to get better.

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Thank you everyone, I took her to vets this morning, it glowed under the black light which indicated ringworm. So they gave me a medicated shampoo that I have to bath her in 3 times a week, if it doesn't improve or gets worse they will give me some cream for her. £45 vet bill ha just for shampoo ! Thank you for all your advise x

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Ps she is piling the pounds on she is 14.9 kg / 2 stone 4 or 32 pounds she is not quite 5 months yet so I think she is doing ok, does this sound adverage for a bitch, thanks x

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.