It just doesn't ever end:'( Bennie skin issues!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
20140919_095231.jpg

Took this picture just after I gave him a bath so it's a bit moist there still... the vet here in town says it's his folds causing these wounds?

What happens is that he all the sudden gets like a bloody bursting, all I can see at that point is that he's got blood on his fur... when I clean the area the skin under it is a bit pink/red and it's giving off moist. I'm not sure if it starts to bleed on its own or if he's scratching it so it bleeds, it can very well be the later:unsure:

Previously I have cleaned the area with a shampoo called Pyostat and it has healed up after that. It has gotten worse lately though and the spots are bigger and not only one at the time:'(

I got a shampoo from this vet that she says is the same as Pyostat just a different brand. I've cleaned Bennie with it but it doesn't seem to really help:( We've had a HUGE warm front here with temperatures very close to 100F, the wounds are on his throat area where he does have lots of skin hanging so I guess it could just be that... but I'm still wondering:unsure:. We're also of course in the middle of a move (moving next Saturday) so the house is upside down and Bennie is NOT happy about it.

The area seems itchy cos he tries to scratch there which of course makes it worse:(

Anyone else have had wounds like this on their poor baby? and what caused it?

Can I put some cortisone cream on? The vet said to keep it dry so I'm hesitating putting cream:unsure:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sorry to hear this Petra, sending prayers that all gets sorted out soon for you and Bennie Boy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Petra, I'm so sorry that Bennie is having such a rough timeā€¦
Did the vet do a scrape on him yet? The only reason that I'm asking is because those spots you are showing look familiar to Wally'sā€¦ and he was diagnosed w/demodex mange. His spots started out as bald red areas, and then they would get largerā€¦ and after his dips (or when I was putting ointment on them) they would bleed. I agree that ointment would keep that area moist, what about using a powder such as Gold Bond to help keep that area dry. Did the vet want you to keep bathing him? I would think that this would make these areas worse...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Petra, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Bennie, poor guy, it must be so sore and uncomfortable. I agree with Tracey, thinking it either looks like Demodex mange or a yeast infection. Both of which are usually caused by allergies and a weak immune system. Both are very difficult to treat and can take a long time. I'm sure the heat doesn't help as well. I would continue to bath him with the prescription shampoo from the vet, but rinse him with apple cider vinegar and warm water after rinsing off the shampoo. Don't rinse off the vinegar, leave it on his skin, and just towel dry him. ACV is a natural anti bacterial and will kill the Demodex mites. Which causes the mange. You can also try soaking him in a Epsom salt and warm water bath. I would avoid any powders right now, as it may irritate the broken skin. It's best to shave the areas to allow the air to get at it and heal. Keep the areas clean and dry as well. I hope he feels better soon and it clears up soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Also give him things that will boost his immune system, such as Probiotics, yogurt, apple cider vinegar in his drinking water or in his kibble, Coconut Oil and Kelp is very beneficial as well.
Allergies and mange are caused by a weak immune system or a abnormal response from the immune system, so by boosting the immune you help the body to fight these.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I would avoid that area and the surrounding area when bathing him, or just speak with my vet about holding off the medicated baths altogether.

I would also shave the area and use something like Malactic or Douxo. They have antifungal and antibacterial properties along with drying agents.

You have to keep the area dry and clean.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION]

He's not been to our regular vet... I made an appointment with him for tomorrow at 9am so we're going to Pretoria with Bennie, it's gonna cost us a fortune again:( It's a bit rough now with the house costing us a lot of money but I'm too scared to wait till Monday, especially since we're not going to be home tomorrow to check him (we have to go service the car and drop some things off at a bullterrier rescue) so we will leave Bennie at the vet and go do that as quick as possible while Dr Dave is checking Bennie out.

I told my husband today early that it looks bad on Bennie and I don't know what to do anymore, as usual he's ignoring me just thinking I'm being overly protective:*( I could have taken him to the vet in town but by the time my husband got around realizing it's pretty bad she was to busy to see us. Next time I'll just go...

I'm feeling so sad, we'd planned this Saturday for so long, going to the rescue and help a little and donate some things and money. Now it will all be stressed and I will worry about Bennie at the vet and about Boeboe being home alone on cortisone pills and what what:moping:. I don't wanna go anymore but we've booked the car in and promised the rescue that we're coming so I feel can't back out now.

Do you guys think Boeboe will be fine home alone for a while? She hasn't shown any reaction to the cortisone pills, this is her second day on it. She doesn't itch anymore but she still has the bumps on her body, her tummy isn't red anymore at least so I think the pills are working... If I could I would bring Boeboe with as well but we can't:( I'm not a happy camper right now:ashamed:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would think that Boeboe will be fine at homeā€¦ if she hasn't shown a reaction to cortisone by now she should be fine. You should try and enjoy tomorrow, your babies will be fineā€¦ I think you just have so much stress going on and this is adding to it. I'm sorry, hopefully things will calm down soon!!! ;)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I would think that Boeboe will be fine at homeā€¦ if she hasn't shown a reaction to cortisone by now she should be fine. You should try and enjoy tomorrow, your babies will be fineā€¦ I think you just have so much stress going on and this is adding to it. I'm sorry, hopefully things will calm down soon!!! ;)

Thank you:) I'm thinking BoeBen (Boeboe and Bennie) stresses too that's why they are getting these problems all the sudden:eek:. Joey is to laid back to care at all about things getting moved around, as long as she gets her food she's happy;).

Think things will be better once we get into the new house... maybe I'm delusional but one can always hope for the best:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
this actually looks like a hotsport to me, at least the picture does.... as Ellie stated, shave the area and keep it clean and dry. They are usually caused by allergies, but if she is stressed due to tall the packig and such, it can add to it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This looks like a hotspot to me as well. Can you get Douxo, malacetic, or that panalog? Sorry you just can't seem to catch a break lately, huh?

Much of this could be stress reactions from the move- these bullies are so crazy when their routine gets changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I t does look like what Ftse had a while back which turned out to be a hot spot and it healed just fine, I think Boeboe would be fine home on her own you need to relax ( you remind me so much of myself I panic over what if's all the time and the checking thing)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo has yeast and skin issues. For his neck folds, he doesn't wear his collar at home, only when we go out. This has helped with his neck. The yeast battle is now between his hind legs. I use monistat to keep it under control. I am going to try the recommendation above about rinsing with Apple cider vinegar and warm water after his bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistykucz

Sep 17, 2014
I just took my bully to the vet for the same problem and it is demodex..hes being treated with meds and a medicated shampoo to do once a week..your bully needs a skin scrape done to reveal this nasty culprit..good luck hope he gets better

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the responses<3 Bennie went to Dr Dave on Saturday and as I kind of thought it's staph that's acting out cos of the warmer weather and much likely from stress due to the move. He's now on antibiotics for a week, his neck is shaved and I got Curatex cream to put on for him twice a day for as long as needed.

Boeboe is doing better on her cortisone pills for the allergic reaction, she's only got two days left, I really hope she'll stay healthy now after this...

It's a bit of a mission being me right now:eek:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online