New member-ticks. Used hartz, help!

Doggemom808

Sep 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Midnight
I just picked up a wonderful 3yr old OEB. She seems very healthy but has a tick problem. I pulled out a lot in her ears & toes yesterday & gave her a bath with some gentle baby soap. I haven't found any on her or in her bedding today.
However, I picked up Hartz flea & tick guard not knowing how dangerous it was til I googled it. Bad mommy!! :( :ohmy:
I googled it about 10min after I applied it. I read to bathe her with dawn so I did just that & cleaned up her bedding again. I'm scared!
She seems ok but if something happens to her, I'll never forgive myself. I'm hoping I caught it before it did any damage.
Does anybody have any good recs as far as maybe an all natural tick repellant?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I just picked up a wonderful 3yr old OEB. She seems very healthy but has a tick problem. I pulled out a lot in her ears & toes yesterday & gave her a bath with some gentle baby soap. I haven't found any on her or in her bedding today.
However, I picked up Hartz flea & tick guard not knowing how dangerous it was til I googled it. Bad mommy!! :( :ohmy:
I googled it about 10min after I applied it. I read to bathe her with dawn so I did just that & cleaned up her bedding again. I'm scared!
She seems ok but if something happens to her, I'll never forgive myself. I'm hoping I caught it before it did any damage.
Does anybody have any good recs as far as maybe an all natural tick repellant?

First, Welcome to EBN, I would take Midnight to a vet and have her checked up to make sure you got all of the tick parts out of her. Also there are many products, including holistic, out on the market that can thwart fleas and ticks. I am tagging a few seasoned veterans to chime in [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] to name a few.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
there was an article not that Long ago if you use the search engine on the top of this page right hand side it wiII direct you to those threads - good Luck and or wait someone wiII come along and give you an answer

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do not remember Hartz being that horrible of a product, but either way, if you are nervous about it do not use it.

there are many natural repellents... I will have to look them up,as I can not remember of the top of my head.

i do not use natural, but have have very good results and no issues with Sentinel and Vectra 3D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

Funny that you mentioned this, I just had an issue w/giving my dog tea tree oilā€¦ let me be the first to say BE CAREFUL what you read online. Sometimes it's worst case scenario at best, so please try NOT to panicā€¦

Using dawn was a great idea, and we use Frontline/Sentinel on our dogs and we have NEVER had a problem. I would consult a vet if you feel that your baby is having issues w/the Hartz, but honestly I don't remember hearing that this was a horrible product. I know that they said NOT to use the knockoffs found at Walmart and other discount stores.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I cannot tell you how excited I am to discover this ridiculously easy, natural tick repellent that really works!

But before I spill the secret, let me give you some background information:

We just moved to a property deep in the woods of Pennsylvania.

My dog and I were diagnosed at the same time with Lymeā€™s Disease 2 summers ago.

We caught it early, got treated and now weā€™re all better.

I hike and/or creek swim in the woods with my dog 5 to 6 days a week, March through October.

Where I currently live has the greatest number of confirmed Lymeā€™s Disease cases in the whole country.

I hate chemicals.

Before I discovered this natural tick repellent, weā€™ve been pulling a minimum of 3 to 4 ticks off my dog each day and usually one to two on me.

I hate ticks.

My husband told me we had to figure something out with all these ticks or else he wanted to put Frontline on my dog.

I hate Frontline.

Itā€™s full of dangerous chemicals and not good for dogs (or for people that love to hug and cuddle their pets).

Okay, got all that?

So then a few weeks ago, my essential oil guru, Meagan from Growing Up Herbal, wrote a guest post on Primally Inspired teaching us how to make super easy homemade bug repellent oils. I tried her easy recipe since bugs are terrible where I live this time of year. Her homemade oil recipe worked like a charm! Truth be told, it even surprised me how well it worked.

In the post, she also mentioned that Rose Geranium Essential Oil was a good tick repellent for animals. So I bought some Rose Geranium oil, hoping and praying it would work or else I would have to go the Frontline route.

I put a drop of Rose Geranium Oil in between my dogs shoulder blades and a drop at the base of his tail each day before we go outside. Thatā€™s it.

I also put a drop on the insides of my wrist and a drop behind my ears.

We did our daily hike and creek swim in the woods. We came back. No ticks.

What, no ticks?! I thought this is too good to be true.

To this day (itā€™s been going on 4 weeks now *update 3/22/14 ā€“ itā€™s been going on over 8 months now and no ticks!!!!!!!), I have not pulled one single tick off my dog or me. We went from pulling 3 to 4 ticks a day off him to NONE. Zip. Zero. Nada.

This is huge!

I have no idea why Rose Geranium oil works so well, but honestly, I donā€™t even care. Okay, scratch that ā€“ Iā€™m a nerd and I am kind of curious to learn why it works so well, so if you know, please enlighten me.

Iā€™m just so happy that I donā€™t have to put Frontline on my dog and that I found something completely natural that costs way less than Frontline AND that really works for both me and my dog! (and it smells really, really good!)

OP
D

Doggemom808

Sep 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Midnight
Thank you so much. She didn't show any funny signs of a bad reaction. The Internet sure can scare you at times. I'll def try the rose geranium.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
You washed it off in time, I am sure. I put Hartz on my Gizmo, a Mixed Terrier several years ago, we went to bed, Gizmo slept with us, He woke me up about an hour or so after putting the Hartz on him, he was shaking all over. I went right away and bathed him, he was ok then, stopped shaking immediately. Hartz nearly killed My Gizmo, Please do not put this Horrible product on any of your dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.