ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok so Walter has one more dip to go and then he's done for his demondex mange. His vet told me today to get tea tree oil to put on his bald spot on the back of his neck, so I bought some today. Dear GOD I put some on him, and he seems fine but when I googled it I about had a frigging heart attack. I immediately washed it off of him w/dawn soap and water… apparently some dogs have adverse reactions to this stuff. Does anybody know anything about this oil?!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have used it a few times on Harlea for minor skin irritations when i didn't have chlorohexidine or Vetrycin handy and she didn't have any reaction. I would have to assume that it is probably one of the thing they are or aren't allergic to.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know, I just hope he gets over all of this mange once and for ALL. We love Mister Walter.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We have used it a few times on Harlea for minor skin irritations when i didn't have chlorohexidine or Vetrycin handy and she didn't have any reaction. I would have to assume that it is probably one of the thing they are or aren't allergic to.

Well don't google it… I washed it off him, I'm just a damn nervous wreck when it comes to anything w/my dogs… :unsure:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know, I just hope he gets over all of this mange once and for ALL. We love Mister Walter.

Me too… he has one more dip to go, but he has several bald spots. I'm just ready for all of this to end :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet just texted me… she said it was fine, just don't bathe him in it which I didn't. I HATE the internet sometimes… I need to go to bed :bad:

Actually I just got off the phone w/my vet… she said she googled it and was surprised by the comments made concerning it. She says she has used it for years, but told me I could hold off… Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my vet!!! :heart:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tracey, you can safely use ACV on Walter, as a rinse after his baths. Also good to,put in his drinking water. ACV is a natural anti bacterial and it helps kill bacteria and parasites.

Jan 31, 2014
Is Tea Tree Oil Safe For Pets?

Tea tree oil, or Australian tree tea oil, has become a popular alternative treatment for many skin conditions affecting humans. Its popularity has resulted in some veterinary skin care products that contain small amounts of tea tree oil. In small concentrations (.1% to 1%), tea tree oil is tolerated and safe for cats and dogs.

Unfortunately, the oil's popularity has resulted in larger numbers of households with bottles of 100 percent tree tea oil, and accidental ingestion or improper dilutions of this highly concentrated oil can be harmful to pets.

What is Tea Tree Oil?

Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of a tree native to Australia that is similar to the myrtle tree. The tree has been introduced to America and is grown in the southern states, particularly Florida. The clear to pale yellow oil has a camphor-like smell and has bactericidal and fungicidal properties.

It is used topically to treat acne, boils, burns and insect bites in humans and pets. It is also used for treating athlete's foot, gingivitis, impetigo, tonsillitis, and vaginal infections in humans. It is sometimes added to vaporizers to treat respiratory infections. The oil can also be found in soaps, toothpaste, lotions, and skin creams.

Tea tree oil is toxic, to both humans and pets, if taken orally. In Australia 100 percent tree tea oil is categorized as a schedule 6 toxin. Packaging there requires child-proof containers and cautionary labeling. Such packaging and labeling are not necessary in the U.S. and Canada. A 10 year long veterinary study of tea tree oil toxicity in pets found that 89 percent of owners who used 100 percent oil assumed that it was safe. The researches felt that the lack of labeling was a major reason for the feeling of safety on the part of American pet owners.

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity for Pets

Tea tree oil contains various types of chemicals called terpenes. These are the chemicals that make the oil effective against bacteria and fungi. They are also the toxic agent. Terpenes are rapidly absorbed into the body whether taken orally or on the skin. This means topical application of concentrated oil can result in the same toxicity as accidental oral ingestion. Given the tendency of pets to groom, especially cats, the toxicity risk of topical applications is amplified.

Symptoms of toxicity vary depending on the dose of terpenes ingested. Minor symptoms like drooling or vomiting may be found with mild doses of oil. Animals with moderate illness may appear weak, have difficulty walking, or seem partially paralyzed. Severely ill animals have life-threating symptoms like tremors, seizures, greatly reduced level of consciousness, or coma. Symptoms follow 2 to 12 hours after exposure.

Treatment for Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Pets

There is no antidote for terpenes. Treatment is based on the level of toxicity. Mild illness may only require skin decontamination with dish soap bathing. Inducing vomiting is not recommended. The neurological effects of the terpenes, as well as the thick quality of the oil, increase the risk of aspiration pneumonia if vomiting is induced.

The effectiveness of orally administered activated charcoal in binding terpenes after oral ingestion of tea tree oil is unknown. Vomiting control with medications is necessary before administering activated charcoal. Activated charcoal should not be given to pets with severe symptoms due to the risk of aspiration of the charcoal liquid.

Skin decontamination and support therapy with intravenous fluids is the standard treatment. Vomiting, muscle tremors, and seizures are treated with medications as needed. Treatment may be necessary for up to 72 hours after exposure. Terpenes are toxic to the liver so the use of liver protectants like SAM-e and silymarin (milk thistle) for two weeks is also recommended.

Prevention of Tea Tree Oil POISONING in Pets

Although tea tree oil is effective in treating certain skin conditions in pets, it has not been proven to be superior to other traditional medications. In fact, the concentrations of tea tree oil suggested for many skin problems far exceed the concentrations found in most pet products (.1%-1%). The attraction of using a natural product as opposed to a man-made synthetic treatment may not be worth the risk. The use of dilutions of 100 percent tea tree oil should be avoided in pets. It is too easy to miscalculate the amount of oil to use. Finally, oil should be safely stored away from pet access, especially the ingenious, inquisitive cat.

Dr. Ken Tudor

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
so he Looks Like a map of the sprinklers now :lmaoboy:

You are so right on this one… my yard is starting to look like a mine field… Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok well Walter seems to be fine this morning… he did vomit once around 10pm, so of course I didn't sleep hardly at all last night :nervous:He's already had breakfast over an hour ago, and now he's watching Scooby-Doo that Lily left on the TV… Lol

I did a little more research on the topic of tea tree oil… I guess that what my vet was researching that most holistic vets highly recommend using it, but of course the commercial vets oppose using it. Of course tea tree oil is in a LOT of things from shampoos, lotions, etc… but this is in a diluted form. I REALLY hate the internet for this reason, I already worry enough about my pets/kids and this just adds to my madness. I guess that in this case just use a very SMALL dab of the stuff, but be informed that some animals do have reactions to it.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Ok so Walter has one more dip to go and then he's done for his demondex mange. His vet told me today to get tea tree oil to put on his bald spot on the back of his neck, so I bought some today. Dear GOD I put some on him, and he seems fine but when I googled it I about had a frigging heart attack. I immediately washed it off of him w/dawn soap and water… apparently some dogs have adverse reactions to this stuff. Does anybody know anything about this oil?!!

Whatever you do, don't use Rogaine for his bald spots. The hair is still growing on my palms of my hands coupled with weird looks from people when I go to shake hands. Kind of reminds me of the Rob Schneider movie, "The Animal."

I joined the hair club for men and Captain Picard got me in...Rogaine. :w00t:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Seriously?!! I don't care if Wally loses all his hair at this point… I'm pulling out all of MY hair!!! :rofl:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online