paws....

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Hi everyone. We noticed Winston really licking one paw, it was pink and irritated. He did not like me investigating! ! My oldest son helped me by rubbing Winstons belly. I found this black stuff in the folds of his paw pads. (Winston is a 6 yr old we just rescued two and a half weeks ago who was not in the best of shape, lots of infections) I had my son take a picture of it. Is this normal? Should we be cleaning them regularly? Our other bully is almost a year and had nothing like this. He is now snoring away since I q-tipped it out. It was like black muck. uploadfromtaptalk1410829095061.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi everyone. We noticed Winston really licking one paw, it was pink and irritated. He did not like me investigating! ! My oldest son helped me by rubbing Winstons belly. I found this black stuff in the folds of his paw pads. (Winston is a 6 yr old we just rescued two and a half weeks ago who was not in the best of shape, lots of infections) I had my son take a picture of it. Is this normal? Should we be cleaning them regularly? Our other bully is almost a year and had nothing like this. He is now snoring away since I q-tipped it out. It was like black muck. View attachment 76942

Weird. We found the same black stuff in Blue's paw a few days ago. He was also licking it constantly, and still is. We cleaned it out too, but I'm also wondering what it was.
He's also favoring it. Doesn't like us touching that paw.

OP
triggerSnores

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
That is weird! Interesting too. Wonder what it is. It almost looked like the same icky stuff we got out of his ears when we first got him. :/ poor bully babies!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Could be dirt or it could be dried blood. I'd clean it out and get his attention of it when he starts licking it.

OP
triggerSnores

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Thank you [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION]. He goes to vet again Wednesday to see if all his meds have helped him these past two weeks, and have his vision checked for possible blindness. Will let you all know what she says about the paw muck etc.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @dolphin. He goes to vet again Wednesday to see if all his meds have helped him these past two weeks, and have his vision checked for possible blindness. Will let you all know what she says about the paw muck etc.

I hope and pray that everything turns out well ♡♡

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do they smell like corn chips?

OP
triggerSnores

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
They smell like bread dough but he is on 2 different meds for his yeast colonies/infestation.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like yeast, I've had this happen a few times over the years. I clean it with malacetic and then put some panalog in there and it goes away.

Other options are several paw soak in beta dyne and water mix, or chlorahexidine & water mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They smell like bread dough but he is on 2 different meds for his yeast colonies/infestation.
--- Could be the meds are not strrong enough... seems like yeast to me too.

Looks like yeast, I've had this happen a few times over the years. I clean it with malacetic and then put some panalog in there and it goes away.

Other options are several paw soak in beta dyne and water mix, or chlorahexidine & water mix.

^^^^ :yes:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Lisa...what is the Betadyne/Water ratio? I know the chlorahexidine and water ratio.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Lisa...what is the Betadyne/Water ratio? I know the chlorahexidine and water ratio.

You just put a squirt into the water so it looks like hot tea. If you use too much the paws may stain, but after a paw soak the water should turn almost clear.

Most Reactions