Dew claw

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I took ruthie and brutus up to the park today and while I was getting them out of the car I noticed blood on the seat. I have no clue what happened but brutus dew claw is completely off. It was bleeding and tender, I touched it and he yelped. I went to the store got some Epsom salt and bactine. I soaked it and sprayed it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him but I gave him half a rimadyl for pain. He hasnt licked it much at all. any one have any suggestions??? he just came off a round of antibiotics from his allergies so I hope that keeps infection from setting in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You want to keep it wrapped... Gauze so it does not get infected. Keep it clean and wrapped till it heals..

poor guy... They are worthless 'fingers' but hurt like heck when injured

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The nail ripped off? If it continues to bleed there is the stuff called kwik stop styptic powder. Vegas loses his nails all the time. I don't know how he does it.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It's not bleeding anymore, just really tender.
I am not sure what happened but i found his nail on the floor in the car. The whole thing. He already has issues with his paws. I guess in his last home he ripped off a toenail in his crate and the nail never grew back so he is very sensitive with them which is why I don't have it wrapped, he will just eat it off too.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's not bleeding anymore, just really tender.
I am not sure what happened but i found his nail on the floor in the car. The whole thing. He already has issues with his paws. I guess in his last home he ripped off a toenail in his crate and the nail never grew back so he is very sensitive with them which is why I don't have it wrapped, he will just eat it off too.

Ooooooo... Then, all you can do is Keep it clean

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, main thing is just keep it clean and he should be fine.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Holy cow that is crazy, poor baby!! I'm glad it's not bleeding, do you think it will grow back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie ripped his dew claw when we first brought him home. We took him to the emergency vet because of course I freaked out but all they did was clean it and make sure the nail was clipped down. It healed on its own. I wouldnt walk him around the neighborhood or anything until its completely healed up.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our Pug ripped hers off once on an afghan and it grew back. I couldn't believe how much it bled but it stopped after a bit and she was fine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh, I had no idea that they would rip off like that… I hope Brutus heals up soon!!!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was able to take a photo of it. The whole thing is gone. I hope it grows back quick.
560c2c22338b23983ddd04d8d725c445.jpg

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Oh poor baby! This happened to my friend's pointer when she was playing with Ruckus once. Her nail got caught on the rug and ripped right off. Blood droplets were everywhere and my friend took her to the vet thinking it was serious, but they just cleaned it and told her to keep cleaning it at home. He'll be ok, just a little sore.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Question...if his paw/nail got infected, what signs would be there? He started limping today, out of no where. Once he starts walking he is fine, but that initial getting up, he limps. Can I give ibuprofen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Question...if his paw/nail got infected, what signs would be there? He started limping today, out of no where. Once he starts walking he is fine, but that initial getting up, he limps. Can I give ibuprofen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

will he he let you touch the paw? If it is hot, then there is infection. I know there is a human pain pill you can not give... Can't remember which it is. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] or [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] may know

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.