2 Questions

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Couple questions. Josie seems to enjoy eating grass. I assume that is normal. Not in mass quantity, but a few blades here and there.
Are joint suppliments necessary? She shows no issues with pain. Read that it is good to give early on.

karleydavidson46

Sep 12, 2014
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash and Dixie
Couple questions. Josie seems to enjoy eating grass. I assume that is normal. Not in mass quantity, but a few blades here and there.
Are joint suppliments necessary? She shows no issues with pain. Read that it is good to give early on.
My female does this often too I'm guessing it is normal? She doesn't eat alot just a few blades and goes on I think it's just a dog thing especially in bullies they love getting into things (at least mine do) haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Grass -- no reason for it, but they ALL do it! My girl and my Frenchie both do this every time they are in the yard -- grazing time.

Joint supplements aren't always necessary, but hey will help lessen some issues down the road. My girl has arthritis very bad in her spine, developed when she was around 2 yrs. old. i had he on supplements for about 3 yrs, but had to move to pain meds when they were no longer helping

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Grass -- no reason for it, but they ALL do it! My girl and my Frenchie both do this every time they are in the yard -- grazing time.

Joint supplements aren't always necessary, but hey will help lessen some issues down the road. My girl has arthritis very bad in her spine, developed when she was around 2 yrs. old. i had he on supplements for about 3 yrs, but had to move to pain meds when they were no longer helping
So it sounds like joint suppl. could only benefit since joint issue are so common. Might make it a regular part of her regiment. Also started using malacetic wipes even though her wrinkles are clean. I dont want to get caught up in buying all this stuff. Easy to go overboard when internet shopping is so easy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, they do love to eat grass, plus we don't give ours joint supplements, but it won't hurt if you do.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Christian, bulldozer eats grass all the time, it's normal. Sometimes they will throw it up, and some say its because they have an upset tummy, and they eat it to throw up and feel better, I'm not sure if this is true? Dozer eats grass, but he doesn't throw it up, he eats snow too in the winter, and inside the house, he loves to eat sweat socks. Lol. It's a Bully Thing.

As for supplements, they are just like us taking vitamins, they are taken for preventative and health reasons. Some Bullies can be predisposed or are prone to joint and hip problems, and sometimes it is hereditary, and so you can't prevent that. Adding supplements can't hurt, some people give their dogs Chrondroitin and Glucosamine for the joints. I give my guys a product called Pet Kelp, it is a Kelp powder with added Chrondroitin and Glucosamine, Kelp has over 70 vitamins and minerals and has many health benefits. It has all the vitamins your bully will need. You start with 1/4 tsp. to start, to a maximum of 1 tsp.

I also add 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble everyday for the Probiotics, it is good for digestion, and kills bad bacteria, and parasites, and also boosts the immune system. This is great for fighting Infections and allergy symptoms, ( allergies are caused by an abnormal response of the immune system).

I also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are a lot of health benefits to ACV, there is an excellent article on the Home page that Sherry posted, that gives you all the benefits. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, (99% of diseases, including Arthritis are caused by inflammation in the body), it also has natural anti bacterial and anti fungal agents, so kills the bad bacteria in the body, which again boosts the immune system. A strong immune system helps them fight many infections, parasites, and illnesses. ACV also balances the Ph levels of the blood.

I also add 1 Tbsp. of Coconut Oil to the evening kibble, it is an excellent source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which is excellent for kin, coat, bones, joints and the brain.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So it sounds like joint suppl. could only benefit since joint issue are so common. Might make it a regular part of her regiment. Also started using malacetic wipes even though her wrinkles are clean. I dont want to get caught up in buying all this stuff. Easy to go overboard when internet shopping is so easy.

Yes, a, very easy to go overboard, but at some point you'll need it. ;)

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry eats grass too. Sometimes a little and sometimes a belly full and throw it up. I hate it, but it is just what he does.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.