Help!

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014
I have a 9 mo old EBD that hasn't eaten today & has vomited a clear- mucus like slime about 4 times. He isn't as active as normal & I even tried to coax him with a chicken nugget and he refused. I don't know if I should take a wait-&-see approach or if this is something that requires emergency medical treatment. I am worried sick, please help!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I would take him in and insist on an ultrasound (not x-ray because they can miss it) to rule out obstruction.
And I would take him in right away.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree take him for ultra sound. Could be an obstruction

OP
paigeh79

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014
Thank you. I will call them first thing in the morning but until then are there any signs or things I should watch of for?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Everything you've mentioned are signs of Obstruction. He can also just be sick, like a cold. But one of the symptoms of Bordettela or Canine Influenza, both of which are making the rounds here in the northeast, is also a hacking cough which
almost sounds like they're gagging. Does he have that?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Paige, I agree with others advice, if he vomiting, not eating, and is. To acting like himself, he's not feeling well. Dogs and especially EB's have a high pain threshold, and don't usually show when they are in pain. A vet will be able to determine if he has an abstraction. Is there any chance he could have eaten something, that you don't know about, like article of clothing, a piece of toy, or something he may have found? My male Bulldozer loves to eat socks, and has done so 4 times. He has always been able to either throw them up, or poop them out. The signs of obstruction to look for are vomiting and /or diarrhea, drooling water from the mouth, and lethargic behaviour. They can sometimes show signs and then go back to acting normal like eating, drinking, playing, and then a week later throw up or poop out the item. Dozer threw up the last sock he swallowed a whole month after he swallowed it. Keep an eye on him, check his poops for swallowed items, and if he's not better tomorrow, have the vet check him out. I hope he's okay. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sending positive thoughts and prayers .... please keep us posted. i agree with the others, sounds like it could be an obstruction

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.