Dog food driving me crazy

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
So I started Dozer on wellness core when i first got him and he got severe diarhea. After hours of research i switched to canidea all life stages. He does ok on it but i don't like the way his coat is. This is a complaint I have read others have atoo. Also It isn't even a top rated food now only 5 stars. Yeah i know that is good but it isn't the best. I read a lot about fromm here. I also personally know a lot of people who use Blue buffalo. This is all making me a little crazy. Should I switc him? I want whats best for him but i dont thing swithcig all the time is great plus i just bought 4o lbs of dog food. Ahh why can't there just be 1 very best dog food.:confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No doubt in my personal opinion that Fromm is way better than Canidae. I have tried it and like you, they did okay but not the nice shiney coat I was expecting. I would add grizzly salmon oil to help with that, but wait until you got the poops under control. Remember it does take 4 weeks to see the final results of a food change so I would at least give it some more time before you make your decision.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
When we first got Jozi I was going
to put her in Canidae. But after days
and days of looking at dog food. I landed
on Taste of The Wild.

I think I woud give Dozer a little bit longer
to get use to it. 5 stars is still a great food.
IMO Its better than the Iams that Jozi
was on.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We feed Silva fromm and love it! We havent had any problems with her. Good luck with your search and yes it can be very overwhelming!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
If I were you I would give it a little more time, change over gradually. Then I would add the salmon oil. Gertie and Ida get it everyday and they have soft, lovely coats. Just because a food has 6 stars, doesn't mean it's the best for YOUR dog. I tried to switch Arrow, my St. Bernard, to the Nature's Variety that the girls are on, just because it's got more stars than what he was eating. He had a bad reaction to it and so I took him right off and put him back on the food with less stars. It seems to be what's best for him.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is currently on WELLNESS CORE REDUCED-FAT GRAIN FREE Formula and he loves it. He also gets TASTE OF THE WILD Sierra Mountain formula, and FROMM SURF & TURF GRAIN FREE.
I do restrict the amount of FROMM he gets because it is much Higher Calorie than the other two formulas. All 3 of these dog foods are very good - 5 and 6-Star Foods. Maximus looks great and he is very healthy !

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yes, I understand your pain!! Dog food is driving me crazy too! It seems like it is all I think about and research constantly! When we first got Frank, he was on Eukanuba but didn't really like eating it, poos were soft and he was getting bad tear stains. Then I started researching foods and realized Eukanuba is considered a not very good food. After reading, we decided to switch to Blue Buffalo, because it was supposed to be a good food and it was easy to get locally. Well, Frank didn't like eating it (he would just pick at his food, which we thought was weird but figured maybe we had a bully who didn't really like eating that much) AND his poos became very runny. Plus he was guzzling water and peeing constantly. Well, then I found out about the recall and was SO mad that the pet store hadn't bothered even mentioning it when we were buying Blue Buffalo. We took him off immediately and switched to California Natural. Our vet also freaked out when she found we had been feeding him Blue Buffalo. He did better on California Natural, but still had horrible tear stains, was itchy, and really runny poo. I was starting to really worry, so I put him on the bland diet, and ordered Fromm. We just got his Fromm and have been transitioning him and he is doing really well so far. For the first time, he has normal poos, drinks a normal amount and has a lot of energy. Still a bit itchy but we are hoping that will go away.
Sorry so long but just wanted to give you our experience and let you know that you aren't alone in the dog food struggle!! :crazy:

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
I feed 4 of my dogs Canidae and have noticed that their coats are much better then what they had been before.. Im loving it lol.. I hope you get everything figuared out. Like Gretie's Mom said sometimes the 6 star foods not what is good for your dog. My Great Dane was on 4 5 and 6 star foods and she was horrible now she is on a 2 star ( I think) and has done a 100% turn around, her coat is shinny she is happy and healthy..

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
We have all been through this. I really do understand your frustration. I have 3 bullies all with food allergies :down: It been a struggle to find a food that works for all 3. Winston cant eat chicken. Hitch cant eat Lamb, grains, sweet potatoe. Layla needs grain-free and no beef......Trust me I DO understand. We finally found Natures's Variety Instinct and we :heart: it! I do add salmon oil to their food which works wonders for their skin and coat.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks everyone for your input. [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] [MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] Who new dog food was a harder decision than baby food! [MENTION=18]Pendragon[/MENTION] I think i will stick with the canidea for now maybe his coat will perk up too. he has been on it a little over a month and his poop is normal so that is something at least. Also since Dozer eats 3 cups a day and still has a nice waist. Also if i switch to a higher calorie food and cut his portions I am afraid he will call animal control and tell them I am starving him lol. I will try the salmon oil soon Should i just get high quality fish oil caps or is it worth it to order the grizzly salmon oil?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.