Red eyes .... Allergies and how to handle?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has redness around his eyes - he is on Temeril-P but I'm wondering if perhaps he needs something else (like Benedryl) or another antihistimine to help with the redness. Can anyone make any recommendations ? Thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just have to say Maximus is so cute, he's a very handsome bully.

First I have a few questions, does Max have redness of the eye itself, ( like the whites of his eyes), or is it redness around the eyes ( like tear stains) ? Does he have any goop or discharge from his eyes? Redness and clear goop or a little yellowish can be caused by irritation of the eyes due to allergies and red eyes with a green discharge could be a sign of an infection of the eye like pink eye or other bacterial infection. An infection would require a diagnosis from the vet to determine what type of infection, and he would prescribe medication and or eye drops for this. If the red eyes are caused from allergies, then Benadryl can help alleviate symptoms, and you could also use over the counter eye drop from the Pharmacy ( you can use the same eye drops that you would use for yourself), buy eye drops that are for allergy symptoms, or even a saline based eye drop. If the redness is caused by tear stains, this can be caused by systemic reasons, such as allergies to food. Which brand of food are you currently feeding Max? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. It can also sometimes be caused by the drinking water, and can be remedied by using filtered water, or distilled water.

Having said all that there are some natural additives or supplements that you can give Max that will help with allergy systems and tear stains. I add 2 Tbsp's of p,ain yogurt to my guys morning kibble everyday. Yogurt is an excellent source of Probiotics which aid in digestion, and kill bad bacteria and parasites in the body, which helps to boost the immune system. (Allergies are caused by a abnormal reaction of the immune system)

I add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits of ACV. It is a natural anti inflammatory and ( 99% of all diseases including Arthritis, are caused by inflammation in the body), ACV kills the bad bacteria in the body, it is a natural anti fungal, and anti bacterial agent, so again will boost the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood.

I also add 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil to their evening kibble, this is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are great for the skin, coat, bones, joints and the brain. I buy my Coconut Oil from Costco, it comes in a big container, and is the consistency of lard.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is on FROMM Pork & Peas. He also gets regular eye drops (Genteal) and takes a Probiotic daily. The redness is not in the eye itself, it is around the eye on the skin.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] once posted that zyrtec helps with eye allergies. Hoping she knows the correct dosage (i can't remember).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my female Blossom also suffers from allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We were feeding Fromm's Beef Fritatta for the past 2 years, recently she started showing some allergy symptoms again such as licking her paws, so we switched to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. They've been on this food for about 6 weeks and are doing well on it so far. I tried Fromm's Pork and Peas, but she did not tolerate that flavour either. I'm not sure if the Pork and Peas has grains in it or not?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Hi, I just have to say Maximus is so cute, he's a very handsome bully.

First I have a few questions, does Max have redness of the eye itself, ( like the whites of his eyes), or is it redness around the eyes ( like tear stains) ? Does he have any goop or discharge from his eyes? Redness and clear goop or a little yellowish can be caused by irritation of the eyes due to allergies and red eyes with a green discharge could be a sign of an infection of the eye like pink eye or other bacterial infection. An infection would require a diagnosis from the vet to determine what type of infection, and he would prescribe medication and or eye drops for this. If the red eyes are caused from allergies, then Benadryl can help alleviate symptoms, and you could also use over the counter eye drop from the Pharmacy ( you can use the same eye drops that you would use for yourself), buy eye drops that are for allergy symptoms, or even a saline based eye drop. If the redness is caused by tear stains, this can be caused by systemic reasons, such as allergies to food. Which brand of food are you currently feeding Max? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. It can also sometimes be caused by the drinking water, and can be remedied by using filtered water, or distilled water.

Having said all that there are some natural additives or supplements that you can give Max that will help with allergy systems and tear stains. I add 2 Tbsp's of p,ain yogurt to my guys morning kibble everyday. Yogurt is an excellent source of Probiotics which aid in digestion, and kill bad bacteria and parasites in the body, which helps to boost the immune system. (Allergies are caused by a abnormal reaction of the immune system)

I add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits of ACV. It is a natural anti inflammatory and ( 99% of all diseases including Arthritis, are caused by inflammation in the body), ACV kills the bad bacteria in the body, it is a natural anti fungal, and anti bacterial agent, so again will boost the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood.

I also add 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil to their evening kibble, this is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are great for the skin, coat, bones, joints and the brain. I buy my Coconut Oil from Costco, it comes in a big container, and is the consistency of lard.

1 zyrtec a day helps Lola's eyes. Zyrtec and Claritin are both safe for dogs but Zyrtec has shown better results. The dosage is one pill a day for a bulldog. Give it everyday, regardless of symptoms as it needs to build up in the bloodstream to work efficiently. Costco has generic zyrtec and claritin both at the cost of about $18 for 365 pills. Good luck and keep us posted!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Pork n' Peas is grain free. But I know with Blue, he couldn't tolerate it at all. His itchy skin and paw licking was at it's worst on this formula.

But if the only sign is redness around the eyes, I think it may be environmental.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@agentbunny Zyrtec didn't help Blue at all, if anything it made him hyper. But I'm not positive of that.
Claritin on the other hand helps a little with the itching, but we use it mostly when he gets hives. It stops the spread, and they're usually gone within 24 hours. It's saved us numerous trips to the vets office for a cortisone shot.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene once posted that zyrtec helps with eye allergies. Hoping she knows the correct dosage (i can't remember).

Yes I gave Winton Zyrtec, he was just a year old and I gave him 1 tablet and I think it was 25mg.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
@agentbunny Zyrtec didn't help Blue at all, if anything it made him hyper. But I'm not positive of that.
Claritin on the other hand helps a little with the itching, but we use it mostly when he gets hives. It stops the spread, and they're usually gone within 24 hours. It's saved us numerous trips to the vets office for a cortisone shot.

Thats awesome! Its good to know the claritin works for some dogs as well. It did not work for Lola and the vet said that that most cases responded to Zyrtec over Caritin. I think its great to have options and the OP can try both to see which works better!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thats awesome! Its good to know the claritin works for some dogs as well. It did not work for Lola and the vet said that that most cases responded to Zyrtec over Caritin. I think its great to have options and the OP can try both to see which works better!

It's so funny you mentioned your vet said Zyrtec over Claritin. @ddnene vet said zyrtec works best for eye allergies, my vet said benadryl, Blue's dermatologist wouldn't recommend any, she said "trial and error".

I think it depends on the Vet and their own experiences.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
It's so funny you mentioned your vet said Zyrtec over Claritin. @ddnene vet said zyrtec works best for eye allergies, my vet said benadryl, Blue's dermatologist wouldn't recommend any, she said "trial and error".

I think the vet that said "trial and error" has the best response. LOL

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Like with human Physicians, I find Veterinarians differ widely in how they treat various symptoms with Bulldogs. It sort of makes me Crazy ! You begin to wonder
how and what are they teaching in Veterinary Schools that should be so different. In any event, I have started Maximus on Zyrtec (generic) 1 pill per day and hopefully he will begin to feel better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Can you post a picture of his eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I agree… I trust the folks on EBN more than I do the vets anymore… Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.