Help Needed! Uni has an wound? Need help diagnosing.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Uni went outside this morning, right after waking up. when she came in, I found this open wound on her neck. It does not appear to have an enscicon or bit mark. I'm not sure what it is. I have put peroxide and neosporin on it and i'm watching for unusual behavior. She does seem to be a bit down today, slept most the day, but this is usual for her. She has also itched at it a bit. I put a lose bandana over it for now to stop her from scratching it, as well as my other dog from licking at it. Does anyone know what this could be from? 008.jpg009.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This looks like a hot spot to me, and unfortunately I'm not familiar w/them. I will tag some people for you… I hope your baby feels better soon!!!

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Do hot spots bleed? This was bleeding when I found it and has been off and on today, I think because they keep bothering it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Do hot spots bleed? This was bleeding when I found it and has been off and on today, I think because they keep bothering it.

I'm not really sure if they bleed or not… here is an article I found on hot spots
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?20319-Hot-Spots-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-it

I would say you need to go to a vet to get a proper diagnosis. My bully has demodex mange right now, and his spots will bleed at times… it's hard to tell what it is exactly from pictures.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is hot spot... they look to be bleeding at time due to how red/raw they get. also, could be bleeding if she scratched it. Shave the area and keep it dry. Tracey gave you the link with all the info to help treat it.

Now, to find the allergy that caused it.... that is the hard part. allergy weaken the immune system which is was causing the hot spot

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes definitely a hot spot. They itch and need to be dried out so they stop oozing, otherwise it will continue to spread. Poor baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it looks like a hotspot to me too, everyone has got you covered with great advice. I don't have any experience with hot spots, just know that they can spread, and the area needs to be shaved, treated and kept dry in order to heal. I hope he feels better soon. Rinsing the area with apple cider vinegar and warm water could help as well, as ACV has anti bacterial properties, or even Epsom salts are both good natural remedies. These can give him relief and help heal the areas, but depending on how bad it is, and how much it has spread, it is still a good idea to see a vet, sometimes medication or antibiotics are necessary.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Thanks for the info. I did a bit of reasrech and it does seem to be a hotspot, however today she has been acting funky. Slugish, panting and just seems off. I trying to avoid emerency vet visit ths weekend but I'm worried about these behivors. Last night I put a concotcon of tea tree oil,emu oil, and rosemary.This morning, shaved the area and applied Malecetic. I also wipped it with epson salt salution. Should I be concernd about rapid pantting?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
She could be panting from pain but I think I would put a call into the vet. Good luck and keep us posted

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's by the ear
The base of the ear looks swollen
Check the inside for clearance
Also is she got water in it
Take a temp if it's over 101