Coccidia parasite

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
My nine year old Gus was just diagnosed with coccidia parasite. Along with the diarrhea and vomiting his
breathing became more like a constant pant and he started gagging way more than in the past.
My idiot
vet claims it's just a coincidence and that the dog might have a new throat problem. Does anyone else think that this parasite could have had a major impact on his entire body since it went on for so long without being diagnosed. He's been to the vet 4 times since middle of August and one other stool sample which was negative. I welcome all input. Ps. I know I need a new vet already. Just curious if any other older bullies have had experience with parasites.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i have no experience with coccidia, but I think Lisa does ... [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duke had coccidia as a pup but was asymptomatic. It was tricky to get rid of it took three rounds of antibiotics over a six week course to get rid of. I've never heard of gagging or panting from coccidia - usually diarrhea is one of the symptoms.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've never had coccidia but know several people that have. I'm not sure if it would cause the other symptoms, but it's possible something secondary could be going on due to the parasite not allowing good nutrients.

Just make sure to clean any areas in the home frequently with bleach water, as I hear it's very contagious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
I know about the contagious issue so now I'll have to toss all of the beds. No big deal, I'm just happy to report that he already is showing signs of feeling a lot better! So happy:pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know about the contagious issue so now I'll have to toss all of the beds. No big deal, I'm just happy to report that he already is showing signs of feeling a lot better! So happy:pray:

EXCELLENT!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.