Licking paws

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So we have had our 8 week old boy for 4 days now, last night he started licking his back right paw a lot and I was wondering is it a sign of an allergy? We changed him from royal canin to fromm puppy gold and he was on natural yogurt so kept it and introduced some coconut oil, I use crate cleaning spray from pet store to clean his crate down and he poops outside on the grass. Anyone any idea's?

This is a pic of the paw he is licking

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 118

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I would do a gradual change -without adding extras and then add gradually to see if any ingredients might cause any allergies,stomach upsets etc

It might be something seasonal or food , environmental

OP
J

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Does his paw look infected? What could I wash it with? Its hard to keep his paws dry if he pee's in his crate at night and walks through it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It looks a bit irritated. It could be food related or it could be related to the crate cleaning spray as well. I don't think you are to the point of where you need to do the pickled paws, but if you could wipe them with an astringent like witch hazel or chlorohexidine solution it will probably help.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Does his paw look infected? What could I wash it with? Its hard to keep his paws dry if he pee's in his crate at night and walks through it.

I dont think it looks infected, its definitely allergies. I would try to keep it as dry as possible and when you see him licking it try to get his attention on to something else. I agree with Pati to not add anything to his meals just in case he may be allergic to something.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yep that looks itchy- almost like a chemical reaction so my guess is the spray. I've had this happen after cleaning a crate once so I've learned to wipe it down again with water after using any chemicals.

You can give benedryl 1mg per pound of body weight. Or put some anti itch cream on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm thinking it is from whatever you are cleaning the crate with.... use witch hazel to clean the paw. and make sure the crate is wiped with just water after cleaning it and dry before he is placed back in it

OP
J

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I washed him well tonight and did his paw with acv and water and then dried off well with cornstarch. I noticed when he was sleeping that his belly and stomach around his genital area. Any more ideas?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Change ACV to plain white vinegar. ACV has sugar in it, it doesn't help with allergies. I would also use white vinegar in cleaning his crate. White vinegar is both antifungal and antibacterial, you can't go wrong about it. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.