Heimlich for dogs!

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Hi all! My bulldog puppy Bob is a little pig. He's 11 weeks old and he would seriously eat until he explodes! Well, today i gave him a chicken jerky treat and he tried to swallow it whole. I saw him pawing his face and it was clear he was choking so i gave him the heimlich and he spit it out! He was un-phased of course and tried to eat it again! But it reminded me how important it is to know how to do the heimlich on your fur beast -- especially if you have a crazy food crazy bully like me!

screen-shot-2013-12-18-at-3-1.43.28-pm.png______________________________4471842_orig.jpg______________________________784695_orig.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm so glad that Bob is okay and you knew how to do this maneuver on him. Very good reminder to all of us and something I'm going to review.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FAST thinking on your part.... so important to know and be aware of what your pup is eating

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good job-you saved his life! I will not give my dogs any things like rawhide or jerky or anything that could be swallowed (knowlingly....)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good job, and so happy you saved him, now throw the jerky treats away. :) We never give ours jerky treats, rawhides, bully sticks, or pig ears, anything like that can cause choking, as you found out the hard way. We also don't give rope toys, as they also can cause choking and the fibers can accumulate in their intestines and cause problems.

OP
mackbob

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Good job, and so happy you saved him, now throw the jerky treats away. :) We never give ours jerky treats, rawhides, bully sticks, or pig ears, anything like that can cause choking, as you found out the hard way. We also don't give rope toys, as they also can cause choking and the fibers can accumulate in their intestines and cause problems.

You know my other fur beast is a coton de tulear and he eats much more civilized! he's never choked on anything! but my ex's bully choked on a venison bone-- had to heimlich him too! I always supervise them when i feed them anything that they can swallow whole-- for that reason alone. however, it turns out that the most common size that dogs choke on are small pieces. The piece bob tried to scarf down didn't even really fit in his throat!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.